Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Almost, Maine

Posted 03-03-2015 13:57

Thank you for the great suggestions about how to stage the ironing board scene in Almost, Maine. One other question: we wanted to rent a star curtain, but we are finding the rental costs prohibitive at $2100. If anyone know where we might rent one cheaper or has one to lend (we are on Cape Cod and can pick up within reasonable distance), please let me know. Our dimensions are: 35-45 feet wide and no more than 18-20 feet high.

Thanks again!

------------------------------
    Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 2.  RE: Almost, Maine

Posted 03-03-2015 23:26

I have one that is 18 feet tall and 30 feet wide. 2 circuits and the instruments to make it work (multi-colored and white, twinkle/non-twinkle. I am in Summit NJ which is 6 hours by car. Is that too far?

I can rent it for half that cost. If it works for you, let me know

Ron Wells
    Lawton C Johnson Summit Middle School

Summit NJ 07901

• 3.  RE: Almost, Maine

Posted 03-04-2015 08:19
    Once at a workshop I was a director told us that he created a star curtain with fishing line and washers tied every so often. He up lit it and the washers would turn and twist on the line picking up the line. If you have the man power to sit and tie all those washers that should be a cheap fix.

Douglas Parks
    Parkersburg WV

• 4.  RE: Almost, Maine

Posted 03-05-2015 13:23

Depending on the effect you want, you might try  looking into a star gobo pattern for an ellipsoidal.  Stage Lighting Store.com is an easy way to get your hands on gobos or you can buy direct from Apollo and or Norcostco.  This can create a pretty neat effect, especially if you decide to go a little non-realistic with the idea and have the "stars" appear on the actor from time to time.  Another thing that might be neat, depending on your interpretation, would be to use a mirror ball.  Might be interesting.  

If you pursue the washer curtain, post a photo, I think a lot of us would be interested in that technique.  That's a really neat idea.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC