Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-22-2017 02:40
    I wondered if there is any "unwritten rule" about what directors should wear to performances. I find myself often either working the sound board or moving sets backstage to help a new crew and wonder if it's uncouth of me to wear casual attire
    --
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-22-2017 10:19
    No unwritten rules that I'm aware of. 

As a theatre educator, I know that having an adult backstage is important. I don't allow parents backstage, so that means either myself or the other theatre teacher at our school are back there. As a result, we wear blacks. Mostly we are just an adult presence in case of an emergency or other situation that we are called upon for, but it's helpful to also show the students appropriate backstage attire. Close toed and heeled shoes, hair pulled back, no dangling clothes or jewelry,... are all part of that. I usually wear black slacks and a black blouse of some sort that at least looks moderately professional so that I can handle house issues if needed as well. 

I know other theatre teachers who wear professional attire and do their curtain speeches in front of their audience (I do mine as a voice over) or work the house of their shows, which also makes sense for how to dress. Outside of educational theatre, it's unlikely that a director would be backstage or need to wear anything but whatever they might normally wear to the theatre. Depending on the venue and style of the company, this could be anything from jeans and a t-shirt with flip flops, to formal attire. I don't think there is just one right thing to wear, but instead it should be what you feel comfortable in and meets your personal or professional needs.

------------------------------
    Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 3.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-23-2017 10:30
    I usually wear nice jeans, shirt, tie and blazer on opening night and troupe t shirts and jeans following performances.  If I have to crew a show, I change to blacks after house open.  

I think it just depends on the organization and expectations.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 4.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-24-2017 10:42
    Just putting in my two cents!
    For our All-School Musical - I am the stage manager.  As such, I need to be ready backstage in case something goes awry.  However, the directors all dress up for opening night at least.  So normally, I dress up for Green Room, then change for the show.  For our Sunday matinees, the directors usually wear jeans and show shirts, so I will follow suit, then change.  I have a multitude of black outfits for every occasion!
    For our spring play - I am the director.  I do feel as if I should dress up, as I am in the public eye and the parents all usually want to talk to me after.  I try to wear something nice, but comfortable enough that I am available in case of a crisis!  Flats are mandatory!  But for the past few years, my student stage managers have been so capable, I usually am just watching the show from the back of the house.
    I'm sure you will find something that works for you!
    Blacks and flats.  You can never go wrong with that!

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 5.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-25-2017 07:29
    For our big musical, we always wear the hoodie with the show logo on it.  We even have a tradition of "counting down" the most recent shows, wearing them in order for show week.  It's fun when the kids catch on to this and even participate.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 6.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-26-2017 12:07
    I am lucky to have an assistant who wears blacks and works backstage for the shows.  I dress is up (slacks, dress shirt, tie, jacket) for all evening shows, and go a bit casual for matinees (black jeans, dress shirt, tie and vest).  This allows me to work the house and lobby as needed.  Several years ago, we had 6 exchange students working with us.  Just before the final performance (all were stage hands) they were informed they had a mandatory picnic to attend, and would not be at our performance.  I wore black jeans and a black shirt under the dress shirt and tie, and had some fun with the audience after i welcomed them by removing the shirt and having a stagehand bring me my gloves as "tonight I am a stagehand, and I am late for work."  The audience had a great laugh.

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 7.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-26-2017 13:30
    Lots of great suggestions on here all dependent on their program & needs. I vote for creating your own normal/traditions for what suits you and your program best. 

P.S. Beyond a "show shirt", you can never go wrong with black!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 8.  RE: Director dress etiquette

Posted 04-26-2017 22:17
    If I'm working backstage or in a booth, I'm in black.  If I have to speak, I try to dress a bit nicer.  I have changed into blacks if I had a tech kid out sick and had to fill in.  I guess the answer for me is... no written rule but whatever the situation demands.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga