Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Speaker?

Posted 08-31-2017 17:18
    I have been contacted a few times from a representative of Peter Sklar regarding coming the the school and speaking to my Drama students.  I was curious to know if anyone has had him come to your school and if so, your feedback.  I am hesitant as this is completely unsolicited.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Gunther
    Teacher
    Colerain High School
    Cincinnati OH

• 2.  RE: Speaker?

Posted 09-17-2018 09:57
    Hi Jennifer,
    I am curious if you decided to have him come out to speak or not. I have been contacted as well, unsolicited. Part of me thinks...why not?  But snoopy around on the internet makes me apprehensive. I would love to know if you, or anyone has had him speak and their thoughts.

Amy Seaman
    Theatre Manager
    Clarkston MI

• 3.  RE: Speaker?

Posted 09-18-2018 08:59
    I was contacted last year from someone who “represented” a number of actors, including Adam Pascal, when we were doing “Rent.” They knew we were doing the show (MTI publishes a list) and wanted to know if we wanted to have Adam Come out for a master class and performance with our kids. The fee would be something like 4K. I went to my boosters, who calculated out that we could use this as a fundraiser and end up paying back the 4K and make some on top of that.

When I called back to arrange this, suddenly he wasn’t available. I had thought it odd that they had offered him, as I knew he was on tour with “Something Rotten,” but I thought that they must know what they’re doing. They offered to get me Wilson Jermaine-Heredia, which was still wonderful, as he could still speak to the experiences he had on Rent. Went through the approval process and then HE was suddenly unavailable.

Then they offered (though it really felt like “pushed”) a guy I’d never heard of who had been in the ensemble of the original touring company. Because there was no name recognition, my boosters (and I) knew we were never going to sell enough tickets to make back the investment. They kept trying to sell this to me for a good 3 weeks before I asked them to please stop.

Then, months later, we were doing “Into the Woods” and were offered a visit by Chad Kimball, who we all knew from “Come From Away,” but had appeared as one of the princes at some point. We were so burned by the previous time that we were extremely hesitant. I, again, wondered how this would work out with his Broadway schedule, but was assured that he would work it out. We started the process and, hard to believe, it fell through again. They offered us yet another tour ensemble person who nobody knew. We passed.

Message- be very careful before getting your hopes or the hopes of your kids up.

• 4.  RE: Speaker?

Posted 09-18-2018 14:14
    Uh...So, I've never heard of this guy, so I decided to Google him. I encourage anyone considering bringing in ANY guest speaker to do the same. Let's just say that the search brought back some pretty heinous accusations about him. As far as I can tell, they seem to be mostly unsubstantiated, and everyone is innocent until proven guilty, but...it looks bad...

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 5.  RE: Speaker?

Posted 09-18-2018 11:11
    I, too, was contacted by the "representative" for Peter Sklar. After doing some internet searches and reading some scathing reviews, I decided against it. My program isn't exactly a magnate program for performing arts, so only a handful of my students would even benefit a little from his "presentation," which is really just a sales pitch for his workshops, which cost a lot of money, which less than 1% of my kids could afford. So...

My conclusion: not quite a scam...but pretty darn close.

That said, I welcome hearing about others who did have him in and had positive experiences. I can change my mind.

Kevin Welsh
    Auditorium Director
    Columbus East High School