Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alumni Program

Posted 10-25-2013 00:14
    Hey Thespians!
    My troupe is talking about putting together an alumni reunion. Filled with food, memories, and theater.

It got me thinking, what are your troupe's alumni programs like? If you don't have a program, what is a noteworthy tidbit about your troupe's graduates?

I am interested in your comments!

-------------------------------------------
    Alexander Minton
    Nebraska Thespian State Board Member

• 2.  RE:Alumni Program

Posted 10-25-2013 10:15
    I do not think we have an alumni program. We do have a "hall of fame" and anyone who gives our teacher their picture goes up on the bulletin board in her room for past theatre students. 

I think setting up an alumni program is a really great idea. Not only does it give past students a chance to re-connect, but it will also be beneficial for your program. If you ask them to write down their biggest accomplishment in your program, how being in the program has helped them, or things that they loved about the program, you can keep a record of that. Use this. Take it to your school administration and be proactive about sharing what your program currently has to offer and has offered in the past. 

This will also be a great chance for current students to meet with the alumni and talk with them. A great networking opportunity. 

Were you thinking of having a reunion party, or a program where the alums are actively involved in the program? 

Hope all goes well. 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 3.  RE:Alumni Program

Posted 10-28-2013 19:09
    This past summer our alumni asked if they could put on summer show.  They directed and auditioned and together we built the sets and designed the costumes.  They had a great time and it was an excellent opportunity for alumni to have a reason to get together for a great evening of entertainment.  Plus they let "old" drama teachers be included in the show.  We had a great time and plan on making it a summer tradition.

Dana Milne
    Salpointe Catholic High School
    Tucson, AZ

• 4.  RE:Alumni Program

Posted 11-25-2013 12:46
    Here we go...

My troupe sponsor was also an outdoor living instructor. The idea of putting the best of both worlds was created about 25 years ago. We hold an annual overnight camp-out for the troupe alumni just outside of Morgan Hill in a state park. It's an easy date to remember, the first weekend in June. Steeped in tradition, it has been a great way to reconnect. That is just the simple version.

As for my state festival staff, we meet at least once a year. Our tradition is to wear orange, have our Thursday dinner before meeting for festival weekend and since our state is large travel wise, contacting me when they all arrive home.

As of this past weekend 3 California alumni staff members were invited to shadow our counterparts in Arizona during their festival weekend. We all have formed a friendship and home they will be able to attend our state festival in March 2014.     

Frederick Ballo
    California State Thespians
    Board Member
    - Alumni Coordinator / Representative
    Morgan Hill, CA

• 5.  RE:Alumni Program

Posted 11-28-2013 09:19
    Our Thespian Alumni are invited to attend free of charge select performances of each of our Main Stage productions. This is a recent development for us but has so far attracted some attention from alumni who had not been attending.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 6.  RE:Alumni Program

Posted 12-10-2013 10:18
    I would not say we have an alumni program, but I do have all of the alumni on an email chain. We do invite them to everything that we do, plus most of them are friends with our theatre company on facebook. Prior to our musicals, we do have our alumni stand up before the show starts and we acknowledge them, which is nice. Two years ago we also started an alumni gathering in the summer where all of the alumni come back together to hang out.

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education