Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Copyright for script

Posted 12-02-2014 11:30
    Hi all. I am a new troop leader and any help is greatly appreciated. I am in the process of writing a script for our spring play and I think the idea is good (even if the application is a bit clunky). My question is for those of you you have experience in this.  What is the easiest way to copyright script as cheap as possible? Some of the processes are a bit beyond my budget.

-------------------------------------------
    Darren Means
    Hardin MT

• 2.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-02-2014 15:00
    I am NOT an authority on this subject.  However, you should begin by stating your name, date & copyright statement on any distributed medium.

Then register your work with the Copyright Office. Looks like an $85 fee.
    Fill out 'Form PA' which is at the bottom of the page linked below.

Read the FAQ's on the .gov website.

And remember: this is friendly observation and information-sharing. I am absolutely not offering counsel or 'How To' advice or policy. 

Copyright forms

Michael McDonough
    Stageworks Media
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-03-2014 06:31
    If you go to the website for the federal copyright office, you can file on line and it only costs $35.  It takes about 4-6 weeks to receive the copyright in the mail.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-04-2014 07:40
    My understanding is that anything you write is automatically copyrighted. You don't need to register it or mail it to yourself.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 5.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-04-2014 09:40
    While anything you write is automatically copyrighted, registration is required should you wish to bring a lawsuit.  Further, the benefits of registering in advance are substantial should you need to litigate.  In that case, you would be entitled to statutory damages of up to $150,000 per incident (at last check) in addition to actual damages.  If you do not register your copyright ahead of any incidents, you would only be entitled to actual damages, which might be fairly minimal.

As for mailing it to yourself, better to mail yourself a box of chocolates.  It does just as much in terms of protecting your copyright (i.e. nothing) and tastes much better. :-)

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-04-2014 11:43
    Darren,
         Jonathan is right.  Mailing it to yourself did not hold up in court many years ago. 
         When you are finished also check the title list at the copyright office.  Titles cannot be copyrighted, but you are better off for a full-length play if there are not twelve plays with the same name. 
         Send the play to contests (which usually require it to be unproduced).  Continue working on it if it is not accepted as a semi-finalist, etc.  After someone designates it in some way, you can send it to theatre groups.  Winning a contest will catch a publisher's eye.  Do not send it to a publisher until you have had three different performances with three different directors.  This is not for the publisher's sake but for the play's.  You will have worked out the kinks and the play will be better.  You usually only get one chance with a publisher.
         Some new playwrights think that a production is their goal, but it should be publication.  Publication allows the play to live on and is closure for you to move on to the next project. 
    Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 7.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-07-2014 10:36
    Vicki,

I respectfully disagree on two of your points.  While Anchorage Press Plays (now part of Dramatic), as I recall, required three productions, none of which you directed yourself, before they would even consider a play, and a play should certainly be produced to work out the kinks before the playwright seeks publication, whether that's three productions, one production or five productions depends on the play.  It's not one size (or rule) fits all.  Every play has to find, as my mentor William Alfred used to say, its own incontrovertible form.  Some plays find them sooner, others later.

Also, the ultimate goal of playwrights isn't publication, it's production.  Publication is simply a step in the furtherance of that goal, because particularly in the school and amateur markets, a publisher, whether that's Playscripts, Dramatic, Theatrefolk, YouthPLAYS or any of many others, is a bridge to to prospective producers.  Publication in and of itself doesn't help me pay my rent.  The productions that come from it do.  My two cents.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-08-2014 14:25

Thank you all for the great advice. I will keep it all in mind, and remember you all in my will. It will say: "I remember [insert name here]. 
    Darren Means
    Hardin MT

• 9.  RE: Copyright for script

Posted 12-03-2014 09:06
    As has been noted--and speaking as somebody who does this regularly--the fastest and cheapest way to file for copyright is electronic registration for $35 (still using form PA).

I would, of course, wait until your script is completed.  The thing that many folks don't realize is that you can copyright multiple works as collections.  For example, when I first realized I should copyright my plays, I took all of the shorts and copyrighted them under the collective title of Dorf Short Shorts.  I then took another group of slightly longer one-acts and copyrighted them as Dorf Knee Shorts.  Two payments instead of fifteen.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Los Angeles CA