Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theater Design class revision

Posted 07-27-2014 11:35
    Hi Everyone, I have been teaching and directing for 19 years now at our public school My background is acting and directing, but I do teach a non-acting course called Theater Design. I am in the process to again revise my Theater Design class--and I am looking for some ideas. My units for the class are: Dramaturgy and set dressing Stage managing Make Up Costumes Types of stages Unit set design Multiple set design The course is overloaded (there is no prerequisite) and it is becoming too difficult to teach it as an art course---painting is not an option in my current room. I need to revise the Dramaturgy and set design units.....especially since they need more structure due to class size and the wide variety of unmotivated students in there. I don't want to sound unenthusiastic about it--- the course has just gone in an unexpected direction. Does anyone have some plans/projects/rubrics/worksheets that they would be willing to share with me on things like Set Design, Script Analysis, Theater Stages, Theater Safety...etc. COMPUTER PROJECTS would be especially great. I would, in return, share my lessons with you if you like. Please feel free to inbox me with ideas, too. I hope to hear some ideas from you out there. Thanks again---hope you all are enjoying the summer! ------------------------------------------- Lorie Baldwin Richboro PA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Theater Design class revision

Posted 07-28-2014 09:38
    This is a GREAT example of how you can all use the community to help each other. Upload your materials to the community library so others can then download the items that will help them. ------------------------------------------- David LaFleche Director Of Membership Educational Theatre Association Cincinnati OH -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Theater Design class revision

Posted 07-28-2014 10:17
    I am in need of the same things!!! Lorie, I am starting my first technical theater class and I am at a loss of easy project for lighting. Any ideas? Here are a few things I am teaching. -Set Design- I have teamed with my tech teacher to teach set design via Google Sketch Up. -Costume Design- I use the runway clip from the Project Runway where they create designs from newspapers. It is on YouTube. I have the kids design costumes based on a scene from a musical scene or play. - Soundscape- I have my students do a sound design and cue sheet for a poem, but I have also done this with rap songs/ folk songs. country songs that are appropriate. Shelby ------------------------------------------- Shelby Burton Chicago IL -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Theater Design class revision

Posted 07-29-2014 12:36
    Hi Shelby!

When I do lighting, I often do a project where groups have to try to replicate the lighting from a piece of classical artwork.  I am lucky enough to have a black-box space that I can dedicate to the project for a week or so.  This assignment comes after discussion/demo of basic color theory, lighting safety, different instruments, and some McCandless method.
    steps: 
    *either give the groups a color copy of the artwork they are planning to duplicate, or have them find a painting that you approve.
    *plan. I have the groups create a simple plot indicating location, height from deck, and gel color of each instrument.  I usually limit the number of instruments to around 5.
    * hang and focus.  Each group gets one 90-min block to hang and focus their scene.  (other groups work on other projects during this time) at the end of the period I take a color picture of their scene.  We also discuss their scene "live"--that is in the space while it is set up and we can walk through it.
    * analysis. using the original painting and the picture of their scene, the group has to do a write-up indicating what they think they did well, and what was weak in their reproduction.  I allow them to discuss how the limitations of the assignment affected them--things like lack of instruments or lack of types of instruments, or limited time, etc.

-------------------------------------------
    Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Colorado Springs CO
    -------------------------------------------