Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Banquet Story

• 1.  Banquet Story

Posted 05-19-2016 10:27
    I just thought I would share a little bomb one of my students dropped on me at our end of the year banquet and see if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it. This student, whose name I will not mention, has had a problem with me for the last four years and I tried to find out why at the beginning of this year. I asked him, "****, I sense you have a problem with me and want to see if we can get past it and if you would be willing to forgive me for whatever wrong I might have done to you." His response was almost sociopathic. He said, "No, I'm good." I said, "So you're good not forgiving me and continuing to hate me?" He said again, "Yeah, I'm good." I let it go and did my best to work with him throughout the year. He actually got most every role he auditioned for and did well at them, so I still don't know what he has against me, but at the banquet this past weekend, he gave his senior speech. He went on about the drama teacher who inspired him, who made him the actor he is today, and the drama teacher who made him want to become a drama teacher himself. He paused and said, "And that person is..." and then proceeded to name a director of children's theatre who wasn't in attendance and from whom he has not had anything to do with in over eight years. He did it to hurt me and it did. I know I shouldn't let it get to me because some people just like being hateful, but his boldness to do it in front of parents and his friends shocked me. I am trying to let it go, but there is a part of me that desperately wants to know what I could have done to him to make him want to shame me so publicly? He even bragged about it to his mother the next morning and she wrote an e-mail apologizing for him. Should I just chalk it up to kids being kids, or should I confront him about this? I hate that after 30 years of teaching I can let one bad apple color my feelings about what I do, but this has really been bothering me. Any thoughts? Hate to treat this like an Ann Landers or Dear Abby forum, but I really have no one else who teaches theatre with me at my school and no one who can relate to it as you can.

Thanks

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 2.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-19-2016 12:36

This student obviously has problems. You tried to reach out to him and then he stabbed you in the back to the point that his mother had to apologize. I know it's difficult but should try to forget him and the incident, don't let him live in your head rent free. Dwell on the students who were successful in your class and benefited from your teaching. I think you were right in your evaluation, the child sounds like a sociopath.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-19-2016 21:00

Bruce,

I am sorry this happened to you--we care so much about these kids and try to do the right thing.  It really is wonderful that the mother reached out to you.  It sounds as if there are other issues which you can't control.  I would try to take comfort in the mother's apology.  

Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 4.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-19-2016 21:13
    Bruce,
    Take comfort, too, in the fact that that kid will, many years from now, realize how he treated you. It will be one of those
    things he chooses to not think about too much, because you were right, and he wasn't. This is a maturity thing here, and he
    will grow up one day and realize it. You need to know that by offering to talk out the problem makes you the mature one, and
    he will get it - he will. Be proud that you tried, nurse the wound with the other kids responses to your good work - they appreciate
    you, and know your intentions with this young man were honest and right.
    You should be proud of that and let the rest go.

Ronald Wells
    Theater Teacher/Director
    Tech Director/Designer

• 5.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-20-2016 05:35

It's a shame, of course. Some kids are just never going to get it. He probably has a lifetime of disappointment in front of him.

What he did reveals much more about his character than it does yours and everyone who was there knows it. My advice is to let it go and concentrate on your many successes instead of this single failure.

• 6.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-20-2016 08:18

I hate those kind of stories. It is so sad how one kid can make you feel bad when so many of the other kids were probably very happy with the evening and the year.

I agree with everyone else. Let it go (even though I would have a very hard time doing it myself). I would say to take comfort in the fact that he still wants to be a drama teacher. You obviously didn't make him want to change his mind, although he has some maturing to do, if this is the career he plans to pursue. 

My father complained to my grandmother about my behavior at some point when I was a teenager. She said to him, "it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy." She meant that he had behaved in a similar way as a teenager at some point. I am sure we all have done hurtful things to an adult at some point in our past. If this student becomes a drama teacher, some day he will experience something similar, and then you will be able to say, "it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy."

But this does bring up a good topic. Should we allow students an open forum to talk at the end of the year? I don't do it. This is mainly to avoid a situation like what happened to you. I don't want a kid to ruin the night for me or someone else. Our Thespian Officers do all of the presenting with the exception of the highest honors. I present these last few awards, then hand out the seniors framed certificates, and give them a final bow. Everything that the kids say at our banquet is scripted by me. I don't want to take the chance that a student will create hard feelings at our last Thespian function of the year. I see our banquet as a celebration of the troupe instead of any one person. 

But my students would love to give senior speeches. They ask to do it every year.

What does everyone else do? 

David Tate Hastings
    Kansas Thespians
    Co-Chapter Director
    dhastingsos@olatheschools.org
    913-481-1868

• 7.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-20-2016 08:35

Is his name ___________ ?   Yep - happened to me too.  Not in the same way, but the same outcome.  Mine went on to make a career in the theatre and he continues to exclude his 4 years of high school theatre - and an officer no less - on all his public materials.  But he was all too happy to suggest coming back and doing workshops for the troupe.  Like someone else posted, this is about his character not mine. 

Sometimes, the only grudge is that we were honest with them about their abilities.  Maybe the first person that really was.  That's hard, especially for a teenager, but it is part of our job.  I am going to support and champion every kid that shows up for my program, but I'm not going to tell them they are wonderful if they don't do the work.

On the sub topic of student speeches, I don't do them either.  They are risky, but mostly my issue is time.  I like to keep the evening short and to the point which is, for us, induction and awards. 

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 8.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-20-2016 09:27

Bruce,

I have not had that experience necessarily, but I know there are some students who prefer our other directors over me.  And that's fine.  As others have said you (and I) are honest with them about their growth.  We treat them like the adults they want to be treated like, but sometimes they can't handle the truth!  As I tell all of my students "I don't necessarily care to be your favorite teacher while you were in high school; I want to be your favorite teacher ten years from now."  I say that because it often takes some distance from high school in order for them to realize what you were doing with them.  

As for senior send offs:  We started with each senior giving a one-minute speech.  That ended up dragging because some students would ramble on (and how rude to cut them off).  For the past several years we have had them make a tribute video of no more than 10 minutes that worked well and was fun--last year they reminisced as they did several theatre challenges (one of them had to see if they could put on the 25+ show shirts that I have hanging in my room all at once!).  However, this year my co-director, who is overseeing all aspects of our banquet this year, agreed to let them give live speeches again.  The banquet is tonight, and we will see how successful it is.  The other two directors and I give a few words throughout the night as well.

Bruce, with the end of the year upon us, try to let it go and enjoy some much needed rest.  Then refocus yourself on the 99% of the students who love what they do!

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 9.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-20-2016 11:16

Dear Bruce,

I am sorry that this one student felt that he could publicly shame you at a banquet. I am sure that the audience saw it for what it was and reflected more on his immaturity than on you. The fact that his mother saw it and apologized speaks volumes.

As for the student, he burned a bridge. He should not be allowed to move forward with any activities. The theatre program is promote theatre for the good of all students and he is not doing that. You tried to amend and he did not accept. Move on and cut him loose.

We have all had a moment like this. It is hurtful and stings. Try to move past it as you can. Focus on the good the program does for the other students.

Susan Cortesi

THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY AT 309.827.6031, DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.

Bloomington Public Schools School District87
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 10.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-20-2016 13:04
    You did everything you could. You supported and encouraged someone who took you for granted and didn't care about your feelings. I taught a student who was so upset when he didn't get Pippin his sophomore year, he tried to sing Corner of the Sky at a senior showcase type of event. He ended up sounding horrible and forgetting the words, yet he still came up to me afterward, selling it like a slap in my face. I just smiled and nodded. During his junior year at NYU (his family had connections), he approached me at an alumni event and said, "I'm sorry I was such a shit to you in high school." That's all I needed to hear.
    Maybe this immature young man will come around, maybe not. At least his mother realized his actions were hurtful and apologized for him. One day he will hopefully understand why she did that.

• 11.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-23-2016 12:34

Bruce,

You are fortunate to have taught for 30 years and never had a student do that to you.  I have learned that after 20 years and several students (especially in new teaching environment) have done this.  My first teaching assignment I had students who slashed my tires because of their old teacher telling them to do destructive things to me to drive me out. Did it upset me, yes; but did I leave, no.

I learned that some kids will never celebrate you, but the bulk will.  And when you go home at night, it is your life and your family that matter and when you go back to classroom there will be good kids, great kids and rotten kids.  That fact doesn't change and each year will bring the same combo.  Ask yourself are you proud of what you did?  Did you do what you set out to do?  And then go home and kiss your kids, pet your cat or dog and love your life.  You've made it 30 years, congratulations and celebrate yourself.

Keep your chin up and don't fret, next year is coming.  

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 12.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-24-2016 08:29

I feel bad that the student you attempted to reach out to, refused to make peace before leaving high school. I have angered some students, who would snub me (ignore me) in their senior banquet speeches, but would not go so far as to embarrass me. The one thing I use as a mantra when perplexed by teenage behavior is "Remember, their brains are not fully developed until 24 -25 (if then)." That frontal lobe "involves the ability to project future consequences resulting from current actions, the choice between good and bad actions (or better and best) (also known as conscience), [and] the override and suppression of socially unacceptable responses...[it also] modifies emotions to generally fit socially acceptable norms." This young man has a great deal of maturing and growing up to do, and if he doesn't, God help the woman who marries him.

You may never discover what got him angry with you, and it is possible you did nothing, but he perceives you did. As another director stated, be happy you have only experienced this once. Also, accept that apology from the mother, that is big. Today, so many parents seem to coddle their children and take their sides without getting the full story. She must have great respect for you, even if her son does not.

Don't dwell on this one, focus on the larger group of students who respect and work with you.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Thespian Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst OH

• 13.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-26-2016 15:53

Hi Bruce, I'm sorry to hear your year ended on a negative note. My advice is to just wish this student well and brush the metaphorical dirt of your shoulders. Who knows, in 8 more years, he may recall how professional and fair you were. Keep your chin up and remember all the wonderful, positive students who are so excited to make art with you in the fall. 

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 14.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-24-2016 12:49

John Perry's comment "...don't let him live in your head rent free" really resonates here. As sad as the incident was,  there's nothing you can do about it. Serve him with a 24-hour eviction notice, clean out the place, and move on.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 15.  RE: Banquet Story

Posted 05-27-2016 10:57

I am dreading tonight's awards ceremony for similar reasons.  Last year I was the new teacher in the building. Even with years of experience, I was actually excluded from the whole ceremony.  Not just one kid but the whole group.  

This year I have some carry-over of that attitude and a whole lot of new kids who are hopefully on board with the friendlier face I am trying to put on the program.  

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO