Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Video Recordings

Posted 04-10-2016 23:53

I recently finished our spring musical & I received a lot of flack from parents about recording the production. I explained that it was against the royalty contract to allow recordings. They argued that they were just kids so it didn't count. Other arguments were that there were other recordings on YouTube & they wanted to share the experience with family & friends. Plus, I have made the mistake in the past of allowing recordings of straight plays. I owned up to my mistake & said moving forward I will do the right thing. Artists deserve to be paid for their work & just because people download music & movies illegally, doesn't mean it's ok to do it. 

Has anyone else had a problem with this? If so, how do you handle it? 

I also think allowing people to record could affect ticket sales what do you think?

On a side note, one parent was able to get written permission from the publisher to record the show for his father, who is currently serving in Afghanistan. I explained how & why this one recording was allowed in my curtain speech that night, but still got an earful from other parents about why their needs were special too. 

------------------------------
    Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 2.  RE: Video Recordings

Posted 04-11-2016 06:43
    Edited by Sean Paris 04-11-2016 06:45

We have successfully nipped this by addressing the issue in a few different ways:

• Our ticket site expressly outlines our photo and video policy.
    • At our annual welcome picnic, we outline our policies and reasoning behind it.
    • We post signs on the doors.
    • We explain that, yes, it is possible that people have videotaped other productions and put the video on Youtube. If, by some chance, we are the one discovered, we could lose our ability to produce plays by that publishing house, effectively harming our program and affecting their children.
    • We invite parents to participate in the present - that watching a performance through a video screen while your child is working LIVE is not what theater is about. 
    • We are a pre-professional training program (for programs that are extracurricular you can make the argument that you are giving them the most professional experience possible) and we treat our shows, actors, and audience as if it was a professional show and no photography is allowed. 
    • We print up theater etiquette and additional reminders in the program.
    • We explain how it interferes with the enjoyment of all audience members AND actors. We even include a little bit about how they might feel if someone's distracting camera work ruined their child's performance. 
    • We have pre-show announcements.
    • We have our administration on board. They are VERY aware that the school can be held accountable for any breach of contract. 

With all of that, it has cut down on the number of incidents regarding cameras. I still have to circulate throughout the house and ask one or two people to put away their cameras, but we have cut down the problem to almost nothing. 

Good Luck!

Sean Paris
    Head of Acting & Directing
    Howard W. Blake School of the Arts
    Tampa FL

• 3.  RE: Video Recordings

Posted 04-11-2016 12:21

That sounds like a fantastic model, Sean. Great job!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Video Recordings

Posted 04-12-2016 08:17

As Sean shows, it really isn't just one thing that'll stop it, it does need to be a relentless and consistent effort to shut it down on multiple fronts, and multiple mediums.

For me, it's just annoying when parents whip out the phone to record their precious darling, missing the whole point of live performance. Video recording live theatre (unless you have a super duper professional set-up a la Digital Theatre or the National Theatre Live) just doesn't feel the same.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Video Recordings

Posted 04-12-2016 09:35

Speaking on behalf of one of the publishing houses, I applaud all of you for grappling with this difficult topic in this day in age when audience members cannot distinguish why filming their children in the school productions is any different than the recording in photo and film of every other aspect of their lives. 

I’ll also suggest that if you do wish to film an archival video, just ask your licensor.  It’s truly a case by case basis with approvals even changing with an author title by title.  And sometimes it takes a while for us to get a reply from the playwright’s literary agent, so don’t wait until the last minute!

Kudos to Sean Paris for his approach!     

Abbie Van Nostrand
    Director of Corporate Communications
    Samuel French, Inc.
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Video Recordings

Posted 04-13-2016 09:18
    Our most recent play (publisher is Playscripts, Inc.) has an option  to make one master recording of the show.  You sign a contract that states the recording has to be one camera only, no cuts/additions/special effects, etc.  From the original, you can make one copy per student performer/tech. worker. (No money can be exchanged)  I don't know if this is just with the specific publisher we used, but it is a great option!

Thanks,
    Lisa Ronca
    Ballard High School
    701 Ballard Drive
    Huxley, IA 50124
    (515) 597-2971 ext. 2178