Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-06-2016 16:46
    I am directing "Nice Work If You Can Get It" and am having trouble coming up with a viable design for a fake bubble bath. Keep in mind the risers are raked and the stage is floor level so much of the audience will see down into the tub. I have a real clawfoot bathtub on a small wagon. My actress will need to move her arms and legs (at times) out of the tub during the song, "Delishious." She will also rise out of the tub partially blocked by the chorus girls. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• 2.  RE: Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-07-2016 09:05

What about pearl iridescent ribbon cut up into strips that the actor could sort of just pile around in? Or pearl beads?

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-07-2016 18:17

I had a similar problem when I directed "The Women" and ended up blowing up lots of pink balloons and piling them in over the actress. I attached a number of them to a piece of luan that covered the bottom half of the tub. It looked good. 

Marla Truini
    Director of Drama
    Middlebury CT

• 4.  RE: Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-08-2016 09:46

Bubble pack over the surface of the tub where the water would be.

Bonnie Fraker
    Chair, Department of Theatre
    Northwest School of the Arts
    Charlotte, NC

• 5.  RE: Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-09-2016 18:17

Oh, that is a good idea-- bubble wrap-- could be covered with Modge Podge or a similar coating and painted-- affix them to a superstructure of cardboard or whatever and the actress could get in under.... could drape some over the tub; pull the sheet up and over... fantastic

Great idea!

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 6.  RE: Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-09-2016 10:19

When I needed bubbles, I used batting for stuffed animals or pillows.  You can pull into pieces and the size that you need as well as glue some to the edge of the tub for effect.  

Leigha Nix
    Madison, MS

• 7.  RE: Fake Bubble Bath

Posted 02-16-2016 08:57

Thanks, Everyone!

We tried most of these ideas and ended up using batting torn up in pieces around the tub. Worked surprisingly well.

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA