Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Holding students accountable without a grade associated

Posted 07-06-2015 14:03

hello!

For the first time, this coming year, I have been asked to NOT associate a grade with my theater production classes (I and II), with the idea that more students may sign on for classes if they don't have the "burden" of being graded for their work.  The administration is working with me to try to build our small school theater department.  Here is an overview:

app. 270 high school students / all girls

app. 25-30, in any given year, take speech and theater classes.  Since that is almost 10% of the entire high school population, I am thinking that's not bad.  We always invite boys from other schools (both public and private, and theater programs) to act with us, as needed.  I even call upon professionals in acting and other theater disciplines, for paid engagements working with students to model what a semi-professional environment can look like.

Have you any experience with accounting for rehearsal behavior, commitment, etc., WITHOUT grades?  If so, can you share with me how you do it?  Chances are your school population is much larger, so maybe competition helps but at my school, that is not a possibility.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Michelle Britton
    Houston TX

• 2.  RE: Holding students accountable without a grade associated

Posted 07-06-2015 23:58

You have a challenge, Michelle, but your program sounds like it is valued by your admin and enriched with your added activities.  My plays are co-curricular with grades; my annual musical is extra-curricular. For the musical, the students must want to be there and want to do a good job in order to stay.  We have been using smaller cast musicals for the past few years because of low student commitment level.  I plan to have stricter rules this coming year and have under-studies standing by if the original cast member does not follow through with the director's rehearsal expectations.  I'm thinking about issuing demerits as well.  A certain number of demerits earned will void privileges.  I'm still thinking about that one.

Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 3.  RE: Holding students accountable without a grade associated

Posted 07-10-2015 15:49

Hey there!

A great reply that I can use!  As I explained, I have a small ratio of students who ever participate in theater at this small high school.  It is a labor-intensive art form and many students (and parents) honestly do not realize initially the work ethic involved.  They come to appreciate it and I believe we have had stellar productions over the years, but it is a long, hard pull to get kids to put in the time and preparation.  To be fair, most students at my small high school do double-duty; aside from high academic responsibilities, they represent the school at robotics, forensics, and in many many sports.  Good conversation thread.  Thanks!

Michelle Britton
    Houston TX

• 4.  RE: Holding students accountable without a grade associated

Posted 07-07-2015 00:57

Hi Michelle,

Sounds like you are supported, but it's a challenge.

Given the paradigm shift to proficiency, here is a golden opportunity to show that it's not about grades, but about the students' abilities to meet their goals and assess their final outcome as evidence of their learning. The short term targets of attendance, memorization, character development, and so on are evidence of their learning along the way. The end performances are their final assessments of applying those skills. They may not receive an official grade on a report card; however, what a great opportunity to show them that it's truly about learning, not arbitrary grades, that makes for the best demonstration of their proficiency and gains in theatre with hard work toward an excellent production and storytelling for a larger audience. Ultimately, that can be taken into account for future classes, shows, and opportunities.

Best of luck!

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director

Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland

• 5.  RE: Holding students accountable without a grade associated

Posted 07-07-2015 12:31

Michelle, half of our productions each year are extracurricular, so no grade is attached.

For large casts, I designate understudies within the cast.  Even my ASM will understudy, if he or she is also a performer.  If a student is absent, the understudy pops in. If a student is absent too often--which is twice without a valid pre-approved reason for me--the understudy gets the role.  Setting up understudies is a logistical feat, as multiple students may have to switch roles when one person is absent, but it keeps everyone engaged and feeling very involved in the show.  Those hungry freshmen nipping at the heels of slacker seniors works quite well to stave off senioritis.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 6.  RE: Holding students accountable without a grade associated

Posted 07-08-2015 09:58

This is also a good opportunity for cast doubling. If any of your actors don't meet your expectations in terms of rehearsal behavior and commitment, then they gradually start losing performance dates to whoever shares that role with them. That way, you always have an understudy -- but your understudies also have guaranteed performance dates to hold them accountable.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artistsq
    Brooklyn NY