Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  scheduling

Posted 04-07-2015 15:12
    Help... I need advice...my school is possibly going to a hybrid scheduling system where teachers would be given some choice in whether they teach a yearlong schedule of 45 min. classes or a semester long schedule of 90 min. classes. You cold even have a mix of both. Many of my colleagues, want to have their advanced classes for 45 min all year and their beginning classes for only one semester at 90 min. Though that has some appeal to me how would that play out in terms of rehearsal for a production with only 45 min? I've only ever taught 90 min block schedule. I could really use some other points of view and advice on how it might have worked for others. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Debra Hubbard-Pastore
    Theatre Arts teacher
    Rowan Salisbury Schools
    Salisbury NC

• 2.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-08-2015 06:02
    I have taught both and really prefer the beginning classes for 45 minutes and the advanced classes for 90 minutes.  In my situation, this let the beginning classes ease into the commitment and gave the advanced classes time to really immerse themselves.  However, both of my experiences were in a one semester/trimester situation.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 3.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-08-2015 09:37

I have taught Theatre Arts 1 in 90 minute classes for a few years, although our class also includes the lunch break, so there's a 60 minute block, a break, then a 30 minute block.  We have this class every other day, which I prefer to the one semester model (I have taught both over the years).

What's key to making it work is a variety of activities.  Try to avoid doing the same thing the whole time.  Thinking of a 90 minute block as containing three 30 minute blocks works well.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 4.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-08-2015 11:41
    We have a modified block/traditional schedule so I have 51 minutes # x's) and 1 hour and 25 minutes each week (1 time). I really prefer having the longer time for my advanced kids. It allows for longer rehearsals and gives my kids more opportunities to explore new material. The beginning kids can get a little squirrely on the longer days, even when they are given a variety of activities. The tend to have less discipline so they find it hard to focus for longer periods of time because they don't realize the importance of time management and rehearsal.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-08-2015 12:10

I agree with Shira, shorter for beginners, longer for advanced, for the same reasons. Also, it saves my own patience as the 'beginner' classes (at least in my school, I can't speak for anyone else) seems to be treated like a dumping ground for guidance counselors who think a 'more hands-on experience' might rescue poor Johnny's 1.0 GPA. I mean, sure, I agree with the principle, but little Johnny may have a  low GPA for a reason...but I digress.

Trying to say it might save one's sanity to not have to spend the longer time periods with the beginner classes, whilst they are learning all the discipline and maturity stuff, you know, how Shira more diplomatically phrased it. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-09-2015 08:57

I have taught in a traditional,daily schedule, and the every-other-day block.  (Currently I have each class 74 minutes every other day).  I have been on the Instructional Time Committee several years, and the single biggest comment I can make is to echo Nathan:

What's key to making it work is a variety of activities

You can teach anything in any time frame, if that becomes your mantra.  I will have at least 4 different activities every block, usually 6 or 7, and sometimes as many as 13.  Yes, it is draining, but that is how learning in the block works.

I will now put away my soapbox.....

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 7.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-08-2015 14:01
    My school has been on the hybrid schedule for many years now the format: 1st, 4th and 5th periods are 55 min and year long. 2nd and 3rd periods are 90 min and semester long. We also have 3 lunches and Empower Time (27 minutes) of remediation, catch up on work or free time for those who owe nothing. Our school has set it up a little differently than your colleagues; the 55 minute yearlong are for students who have difficulty in that subject area and it ends up being more instructional time. The 90 minute classes are for regular to advanced learners, AP classes etc...As for your rehearsal with yearlong you have the same kids to work with for 2 productions, but not a lot of rehearsal time. With 90 minutes you could have a whole new cast from fall play to spring musical and more rehearsal time. We rehearse after school and class covers many units to educate on the standards. It sounds like a scheduling nightmare for the counselors with teachers being able to pick their own. I can't even wrap my head around that. Good luck in your decision making. Hope this helps.

Monica DeFelice
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    First Flight High School
    Kill Devil Hills NC

• 8.  RE: scheduling

Posted 04-09-2015 08:41
    Thank you all for the insights... you've been very helpful

Debra Hubbard-Pastore
    Theatre Arts teacher