EdTA Theatre Education Conference

View Only
  • 1.  Your favorite musicals and my Star Wars lecture

Posted 09-08-2019 17:18
    Hi everyone - I am looking forward to the conference! 

I hope you can come to my workshop/lecture on Star Wars and musicals.

The info is below, and whether or not you plan to be there, I would love to know which musicals are some of your favorites in terms of construction - what are the classics and what are the modern masterpieces?  I have a trove of examples for my lecture, and would love to tailor them to your interests.  

In any case, I'll be attending other workshops on Friday and Saturday and am looking forward to meeting people!

Hope to see you there,
    Sammy

PS Please check back on this thread in a few days for a some handouts.

Everything You Need to Know You Can Learn From Star Wars

Day: Saturday, Sept. 21

Time: 4:00pm-5:30pm

Room: Navy Yard

What do Mrs. Lovett and Darth Vader have in common? How is "Rose's Turn" like the Rebel attack on the Death Star? Who's your fun-tagonist? Wait, what is a fun-tagonist? Experience how classic screenplay story structure can help create better musicals. Presented at the New York Musical Theatre Festival and various high schools and universities, this workshop by librettist Sammy Buck shows how classic screenplay structure translates into memorable characters, song moments, and stories of musical theatre greats - old, new, and yet-to-be.

------------------------------
    Sammy Buck
    sammybuck.com
    New York NY

• 2.  RE: Your favorite musicals and my Star Wars lecture

Posted 09-19-2019 14:02
      |   view attached
    Hi everyone! Wow, I can't believe the conference is here. I am attaching the handouts that I will be using at Saturday's workshop.  I will also have printouts, so to get a sense of amount, it would be great to know ahead of time if you will be coming. Drop a  line if you are planning on coming. Also feel free to weigh in on the shows you think are well-constructed.

If you are interested in the workshop but are attending a different workshop in the time slot (4pm on Saturday), please let me know and I can fill you in on some of the tenets I will be discussing.

Looking forward to the session and to getting to meet everyone.  See you around the next few days!

All my best,
    Sammy Buck

Sammy Buck
    New York NY

Attachment(s)

pdf
    STM_HANDOUTS_EDTA_0919.pdf   630 KB 1 version