EdTA Theatre Education Conference

View Only
  • 1.  BMI writing lessons for songwriting

Posted 09-23-2019 21:20
    Hi all! Thanks for a great first conference! I am extremely appreciative to all those who shared experiences and knowledge with me.

Question - There were several mentions of BMI writing lessons for songwriting over the course of the conference. Would someone mind linking me to information regarding this that I can pass along to my gifted songwriting student?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Mrs. Tina Miller
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Oak & Ivy Theatre Director
    Leeds High and Middle Schools 
    Leeds, Alabama

• 2.  RE: BMI writing lessons for songwriting

Posted 09-24-2019 06:33
    Hi Tina - I think Kristen was referring to David Spencer's book: https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Theatre-Writers-Survival-Guide/dp/0325007861/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=david+spencer&qid=1569320716&sprefix=david+soencer&sr=8-1

It was great meeting you at the conference. If you have any other questions about BMI or about writing, I am more than happy to answer.

Thanks,
    Sammy Buck

Sammy Buck
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: BMI writing lessons for songwriting

Posted 09-26-2019 14:30
    Tina,

Congratulations on your first conference!

Another resource you might want to check out is Lehman Engel's book "The Making of a Musical" (https://www.amazon.com/Making-Musical-Lehman-Engel/dp/0879100494). Engel founded the BMI musical writing workshop, and this book includes the assignments he gave to first-year students in his workshops.

There is also a webinar for teachers about "Writing your own musical" on EdTA's new Theatre Educator Pro (learn.schooltheatre.org/writing-resources).

Gregory Bossler
    Director of Publications
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH