Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-24-2022 11:34
    I am looking for a theatrical script that allows for and requires lots of improv. Ideally this script would also have expandable casting up to 20 people. I know about improv scenarios but I'm looking for a an actual script. Does something like this exist?

------------------------------
    PHarrison
    Director of Theatre
    Wylie High School

• 2.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-25-2022 06:43
    Try The Awesome 80s Prom or Tony and Tina's Wedding. Both, I think have scenarios for different rooms or areas. The audience moves to them, catching bits of scripted and improvised dialogue.

• 3.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-25-2022 15:02
    You may want to look at the commedia adaptations written by Hillary DePiano (Love of Three Oranges, The Green Bird, and The Fourth Orange and other Tales). They have lots of room for physical/comedic improvisation, plus it would be a fun teaching unit to explore the commedia style.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 4.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-25-2022 07:55
    Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind!!! This is one of my favorite shows. Lots of roles, lots of improv, lots of audience interaction. 

• 5.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-25-2022 09:21
    I just sent you a private message about this! Let me know if you didn't get it!

Julia Huffman

• 6.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-25-2022 11:27
    GODSPELL! Lots of improv and great music. Cast expandable.

• 7.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 02-26-2022 08:36
    I have an audience participation murder mystery that I wrote that has tons of improv .  I've done it many times.  It's a crowd pleaser and the kids love performing it. Let me know if you'd like to read it. 
    Christa Crewdson
    BB&N Theatre

Christa Crewdson
    MI

• 8.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 03-06-2022 10:41
    Musical wise I know Addams Family has lots of room to play with. We did it last year during Covid restrictions and that was one of the main reasons was because we could play around with it so much

Joni Gill

• 9.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 03-07-2022 07:38
    Awesome 80s Prom

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Scripts With Lots of Improv?

Posted 03-08-2022 08:23
    The answer to this question is Puffs: Or Seven Increasingly Eventful Years at a Particular School of Magic and Magic. Tons and tons of parts (easily could do well over 20 if you wanted or double up) and it was developed by improvisers and even has a part whose job is to improvise their extended monologue every night.

I actually wouldn't recommend Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind. The guy who owns the rights to that is a raging jerk who arbitrarily discontinued the rights to the theatre company who had been doing the show for 30 years. I have personally been on the receiving end of one of his "infamous" 45 minute yellings at over the phone.  What I DO encourage, is learning about Neofuturism and developing your own show giving it your own name.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School