Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 10-31-2017 08:35
    Each year, the Fine Arts department at my school has a combined Holiday/Christmas concert. The trouble is, I am having a hard time coming up with short scenes to do between songs, so I was wondering if anyone out there might know of anything that might work. They can't be more than five minutes or so, and I'd prefer to stick with public domain, rather than having to try and gain rights to a lot of different scenes, should we go that route. I'm open to suggestions. 

THANK YOU!!!

------------------------------
    Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 2.  RE: Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 10-31-2017 12:37
    This might be a tough one. There are tons of classic holiday stories and poems in the public domain (The Gift of the Magi, A Christmas Carol, The Snow Queen, 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, The Little Matchgirl if you want to ruin everyone's holiday season . . .), and you can find some free adaptations out there of varying quality (some of which I've linked to). However, you might want to consider recruiting one of the more talented creative writing students at your school to adapt the material for your department. That way, you won't have to worry about any accidental copyright infringement. Alternatively, you can easily adapt the material yourself, especially if you're only performing five-minute scenes.

If you consider going the radio play route (a popular holiday choice for theatre companies), you barely even have to adapt the material. It's basically just reading the story out loud with strong acting and interesting sound effects.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 3.  RE: Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 11-01-2017 07:48
    ​My Thespians do a reader's theatre of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas every year as a donations play at our elementary schools.  It is public domain, as we are basically just reading the story out loud (as the above poster mentioned) with strong acting and a really great Max!  Our audiences love it and it's only about 15 minutes long.  You could break it up and do five minutes at a time.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 4.  RE: Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 11-01-2017 10:52

For more information about determining public domain status, check out The Center for the Study of the Public Domain at Duke Law School's website. It's a great resource for public domain topics, and discusses why some intellectual property isn't in the public domain even though we might expect it to be. 

Rosemary Bucher
    Licensing Representative, Educational Theatre
    Samuel French
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 11-01-2017 11:27
    Playscripts.com has a play that I have used called Every Christmas Story Ever Told (And Then Some!) by John K. Alvarez, Michael Carleton, and James FitzGerald.  It is fast-paced and zany, and I have used cuttings of it at speech contests.  You would have to check on performance rights if you are charging for the show, though.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 6.  RE: Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 11-01-2017 16:56
    I thought of three different ideas:

1. You might consider doing five minute segments from the same play, resulting in the last segment being the culmination.
    2. You could also do scenes from classics that everyone will recognize - A Christmas Carol, It's A Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, A Christmas Story, Home Alone, Elf, Miracle On 34th Street, The Santa Claus, How The Grinch Stole Christmas.....
    3. You could also do a Reader's Theatre using quotes rather than scenes. 
    4. Reader's Theatre (or not) using the origin of Christmas Carol's - author, words, meaning etc. 

I think you could find quotes online or segments online of most movies.

Hope this helps get your creative juices flowing! 

Blessings, 
    Connie Sandoz 
    Retired Theatre Director 

• 7.  RE: Holiday/Christmas Suggestions

Posted 08-29-2023 15:43
      |   view attached

I'd be happy to offer "A Christmas Cabaret Concert" holiday musical revue with 17 original seasonal songs.  I have attached the full script and you can listen to all songs at Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/user-215519716/sets/a-christmas-cabaret-concert-presented-by-asjustonelifecom  All music is digital and licensed for use. Demos are poorly sung by me.

Steve Pinkerman

Attachment(s)