Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stage Configuration & Audience Entrance

Posted 02-21-2022 12:09
    Hello All,
    I am working in a small black box theatre that is essentially a large converted classroom. As with other BBs I've worked in, while they are flexible in theory, there is really one configuration that allows for the best audience site lines and the most stage space--as is the case with my current BB. The trouble is that the audience entrance into the space is USR on the stage, so when an audience member wants to leave during the show to use the restroom, they must walk onto stage. To add to this trouble, I've added temporary legs to each side of the stage for our spring musical which now makes it even more awkward, if not challenging, for an audience member to leave during performance. Is it okay to let audience members know that they will not be able to exit until intermission (except in emergencies, of course?) Has anyone else dealt with a similar space and have an interesting workaround?

------------------------------
    Amy Cole-Farrell
    Kehillah Jewish High School
    CA

• 2.  RE: Stage Configuration & Audience Entrance

Posted 02-24-2022 04:04
    "the audience entrance into the space is USR on the stage, so when an audience member wants to leave during the show to use the restroom, they must walk onto stage. To add to this trouble, I've added temporary legs [maybe you mean 'tab extensions'?] to each side of the stage for our spring musical which now makes it even more awkward, if not challenging, for an audience member to leave during performance."

The scenario you describe sounds like it is a violation of the Fire Code in terms of the egress path required of the audience.
    • The Exit door needs to be visible from the audience seating area.
    • The EXIT sign above the door needs to be visible from the audience seating area.  No flats or drapes obscuring the door.
    • The floor along the egress path needs to be illuminated to no less than 1/5 fc (foot candle) (Black-Outs are NOT allowed).
    • The egress path must be traversable by anyone (walking, hobbling on crutches, in a wheelchair, etc.), so if you currently have it set-up where the audience must climb (step) up onto the stage and then back down to floor level, then that is not acceptable.  If there is a ramp, then it can have a slope up or down of not more than 1" rise in 12" of travel.
    • The egress path must be a minimum clear width, typically 42"-54", but your circumstances may require a wider pathway.
    • Seating cannot be loose.  Portable seats in rows must be secured together so they move as a group (zip ties on the legs work well for this).  Row-to-Row spacing must be no less than 22" seat back-to-seat back.  There are also minimum requirements for the aisle widths (this is a more complicated issue where the Fire Marshal can be very helpful).
    The best thing to do is to contact your local Fire Marshal.  It is much better you reach-out to them than for them to come to you because someone has reported an issue.  They will work with you to help you to plan a layout for your room that keeps people safe.  Just explain to them how you are using the room, how many audience and show members comprise your event, and ask them if your layout is acceptable.  If it is not, figure-out what has to change to keep the Fire Marshal happy.  Never argue with them, only put-forth well thought-out questions.

One of the guiding documents for all of this is the NFPA 101 Life Safety Code.  You can access it for free online viewing at www,nfpa.org

You have to sign-up for access, but it is free.  You want to look primarily at Chapters 8 and 13.

Using the book online is a little cumbersome, so I highly recommend that you get your school library to purchase a hard-copy and use it regularly to teach your students (and administrators) about the Fire Code Regulations.  The information will be helpful when planning shows in just about any type of assembly space (worship spaces, gymnasiums, arenas, auditoriums, ballrooms, etc.).

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems LLC

• 3.  RE: Stage Configuration & Audience Entrance

Posted 02-25-2022 10:06
    Thanks, Erich, for your thorough and very helpful reply. I checked with my state on at least one point: we don't need an illuminated exit sign as our capacity is under 50 (we're small) but am considering other ways to make a the exit work for our audience. I appreciate you taking the time.

Amy

Amy Cole-Farrell
    Kehillah Jewish High School
    CA

• 4.  RE: Stage Configuration & Audience Entrance

Posted 02-25-2022 20:11
    While I understand that the EXIT sign may not be required, one should consider the larger picture:  Code requirements and other safety standards are MINIMUMS.  Wherever you can do more, one should consider it. 

This is not a 'standard classroom'.  You have exigent circumstances (darkness, possibly changing stage lighting, possibly atmospheric effects, possible presence of hearing or sight impaired people, unfamiliar and odd room layout, possible audio effects that might disorient someone, high occupancy for a small space, only one exit door, etc.), so making an extra effort to communicate the egress information would be a reasonable and prudent recommendation. 

Another reason to consider is having an EXIT sign installed is because the room is a theatre teaching space, and educating your theatre students about the safety and egress requirements for ANY assembly space is good practice.  Having an EXIT sign in the classroom / black box theatre space assists you to educate and remind the students that EXIT signs cannot be covered-up (no matter how annoying it may be), the lamps cannot be removed; and that the egress door cannot be blocked or obscured.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems LLC