Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  LED Followspots?

Posted 02-15-2018 12:27
    We need to replace our old followspots, and are thinking of going with an LED version.  The distance from the fs position to the stage is about 50-65 feet.  At this point we don't have any other LEDs, so the followspots would need to operate manually for now.  In the future (building renovation/build likely upcoming in the next five years), we'll switch over to all LEDs, with a new console, wiring etc., and we would then use the followspots through the DMX and console.  We currently have a Lycian MIdget 1206 (could still be used) and an ancient Altman 100oQ(at the end of its life).

Two instruments have been recommended to us.
    Does anyone have experience with either the Chauvet 120st or the American DJ FS600?
    Or any other recommendations?

We were hoping to get loaners to test them, but the local company does not have samples to loan out.

Thanks in advance for any insights and advice!

------------------------------
    Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 2.  RE: LED Followspots?

Posted 02-16-2018 04:59
    I saw a few prototypes of LED type follow spotlights at 2017 LDI Show and 2017 ProLight & Sound in Shanghai.  The only one that I know is available in the US is this:  Spotlight FollowLED 450 RGBW - A.C. Lighting - LED - Followspots - Spotlight
    Ac-et remove preview
    Spotlight FollowLED 450 RGBW - A.C. Lighting - LED - Followspots - Spotlight
    This website uses cookies to help improve your online experience. If you continue without changing your cookie settings we'll assume that you are happy for this website to use cookies. Find out more about our cookies. Hide this message.
    View this on Ac-et >

There may be more LED follow spotlights shown at USITT in March (2018), so waiting until you hear back from that show (or better yet:  go to it!) may be a prudent move.  If there is a legitimate way to purchase a high ticket item like this, then you can also probably arrange a demo if you reach-out to the distributor.  Or look at renting one.  Or find out from the distributor where there has been one sold in your area and jump on a plane / train / bus / car and go see it.  Don't buy it sight unseen.  It's just not a good risk with your taxpayer dollars.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 3.  RE: LED Followspots?

Posted 02-16-2018 06:20
    Lycian is coming out with a LED followspot, that is where I would go, the ones from chauvet and ADJ are more for club and raves. I recommend going with a theatrical fixture manufacturer you will get more punch and support in the future

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: LED Followspots?

Posted 02-16-2018 08:29
    Hello,
    We just got 2 Chauvet LED followspots.  We LOVE them!  Our auditorium seats about 825 and we have to keep the spots in the rear of the house, so they have to throw about 75-100 feet.  
    I was really concerned that we'd have to set them somewhere in the seats, but they were so affordable, I was willing to make the sacrifice.  However, we have them in the rear of our house and they work excellent.
    Not only are the SILENT, but the ability to manipulate the color as well as the beam makes it fun for the students to learn and use.  
    The only drawback that I've noticed is that the keypad doesn't light up.  A bit weird for a lighting instrument to not have a light up key pad, but the kids learn where to put their fingers and haven't complained.  
    So, I highly recommend them.  For the cost, they are totally worth it!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 5.  RE: LED Followspots?

Posted 02-18-2018 20:17
    Thanks for all the responses so far.

Lisa, can you tell me the model number for the ones you have?

The ones we are looking at are about $650, which is less than half what we would pay for another Altman or Lycian ... which could mean we get what we pay for, or could mean that the Lycian and Altman are more than we really need (middle school!!).

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 6.  RE: LED Followspots?

Posted 02-19-2018 12:14
    Hi,

Below is the link to the model we got.
    LED Followspot 120ST
    Chauvetdj remove preview
    LED Followspot 120ST
    LED Followspot 120ST is a portable, LED followspot that emits a tight beam powered by a bright 120 W LED to highlight actors at far distances. Built-in CTO filter lowers color temperature to match tungsten lamps. Control options include DMX and manual modes and you can simplify fading with smooth LED dimming.
    View this on Chauvetdj >

I teach at the high school level, so this should also work great in a middle school :)  They are simple to operate and super quiet.  We're currently using them for our production of "The Crucible"  that goes up this week.  They really support the creepy vibe we're going for with the colors they can emit.  And, they come with the tripods!    I hope you find what you need :)

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA