Open Forum

View Only

Wednesday's Wisdom from EdTA Emeritus Members

• 1.  Wednesday's Wisdom from EdTA Emeritus Members

Posted 04-27-2022 18:01
    I was attracted to the headline in the NEA feed this week. It made me sit up and think about the status of our career choices-educational Theatre. 
    I knew in kindergarten that I wanted to become a Theatre teacher. I was cast as one of 10 stick players in our kindergarten rhythm section to our spoken word performance; my friend was cast as the one triangle player and speaker/performer. I knew then I wanted to become the featured "triangle player/speaker" and that when I became a Theatre teacher that each "stick player" would be featured in some way. I felt just a member of the crowd, it made me tired to repeatedly hit those sticks without  receiving recognition for my stick play; a lack respect.  Give it up to those five-year-old ensemble members. 
    This brought me to the following headlines in the NEA e-blast this week. 

'What Many of Us Are Feeling is Beyond Burnout'

The root cause of educator exhaustion and dissatisfaction is a lack of support and respect, not a perceived inability to manage stress.

note from Gai Jones. This then directed me to the headline for Teacher Appreciation Week. 

How can students, parents, administrators, and lawmakers best show their appreciation and respect for you? What kinds of support do you need the most? What do you want for Teacher Appreciation Week?

My input include: students' commitment to learning and the projects; administrators' consulting me first if there is a concern, BEFORE responding to misinformed parents; Lawmakers establishing a Performing Arts requirement for middle school/high school graduation that does not allow for Foreign Language to count as a P.A. I need respect that I am handling SEL and that my Theatre classes can be held with a minimum number of students; I need faculty and administrators to attend performances and congratulate students/staff and me frequently. 

I invite your responses. With respect to Theatre educators who continue to work with students to create Theatre. 

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gaijones2013@gmail.com
    www.gaijones.com
    ------------------------------