Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  MTI

Posted 05-03-2022 16:43
    #Hi Friends:

Was just approved for a license via MTI but told we can only advertise the show within our school (no posters, social media, newspaper articles, etc). Was also stunned that orchestra materials (instruments) were no longer part of the standard rental fees … have to pay extra for those. I'm guessing the ad stuff, which is INSANE to ask of a high school, is tied to touring groups doing the show within the state, but wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues with MTI or perhaps unique to this show (Elf). Thanks. Stay well!

Brett

------------------------------
    Mr. Brett Hiner
    English Teacher/Drama Director
    Wooster High School
    Wooster, Ohio

• 2.  RE: MTI

Posted 05-04-2022 05:39

We had similar stipulations when we did R & H's Cinderella in 2017 (I think) because there was a touring cast of the same show in our state at the same time. We were only allowed to announce the show title within the school and I believe on our school group social media. 

For community advertising I made a second ad/poster with the same design as I was going to use in school and instead of the title "Cinderella" I put "Spring Musical". We live in a pretty small community so word got around rather quickly about what the show was and we still had a great turn out. 

But I agree … it's a little silly. No one would have thought that the touring version of the show was going to come here. It was in a major city about 90 miles away though. 

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School
    MI

• 3.  RE: MTI

Posted 05-05-2022 12:05
    Thanks for the response/insight, Toni!

Hope all is well!

Brett

Mr. Brett Hiner
    English Teacher/Drama Director
    Wooster High School
    Wooster, Ohio

• 4.  RE: MTI

Posted 05-04-2022 08:23

Hi Brett

Unfortunately, these types of restrictions are very common. These are  due to a national tour in your area. The only way we were able to negotiate an approval from the tour was to restrict your advertising. I know it's not ideal, but unfortunately it's the only way to get the license approved. 

On the subject of materials, the standard rental fee includes all materials for the show, rehearsal set  (script and score) and standard orchestration (pit parts). I'm not sure where the misunderstanding is, please let me know where you saw that information so I can be sure to have it corrected. My apologies for any misunderstanding. If you like to reach out to me directly please feel free to do so, my email is johnp@mtishows.com

Looking forward to discussing with you
    JP 

John Prignano
    COO and Director of Education and Development
    MTI - Music Theatre International
    NY

• 5.  RE: MTI

Posted 05-04-2022 10:02
    That would be a deal breaker for me. Musicals are too expensive to rely on just the student body and parents for ticket sales.

Michael Corliss
    Adlai Stevenson High School
    MI

• 6.  RE: MTI

Posted 05-04-2022 16:46
    We had this happen to us with Legally Blond.   Ours was tied to how close a professional production was happening in our area so we were only allowed to advertise within our school.

Natalie (Saunders) Dommer
    Pasadena Memorial High School
    Pasadena, Texas