Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages Directing Resources

Posted 02-02-2022 15:07

EdTA Community Wednesday’s Wisdom Shared by EdTA Emeritus Sages Feb. 2, 2022

I am presently directing a comedic play THIS IS A PLAY by Daniel McIvor, which is a play within a play.

The Older Female Actor, Female Actor, Male Actor and Composer are performing “A Stranger Among Us.” The characters articulate out loud their thoughts. The character’s line might be, “I present this head of lettuce for your approval.” The character’s inner thought might be said out loud, “Why does the Male Actor not see how much he spits?”

I take some moments to scan some Directing books and resources. It revitalizes my practice in directing and allows me to try some new practices.  

1. A SENSE OF DIRECTION: SOME OBSERVATIONS ON THE ART OF DIRECTING by William Ball
    2. TIPS: IDEAS FOR DIRECTORS by Jon Jory
    3. NOTES ON DIRECTING by Frank Hauser and Russell Reich
    4. TRUE AND FALSE by David Mamet
    5. FUNDAMENTALS OF PLAY DIRECTING fifth edition by Alexander Dean and Lawrence Carra
    6. A DIRECTOR PREPARES: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre by Anne Bogart

Other Resources on Directing

DRAMATICS magazine “From Creativity to Celebration” by Michael Daehn April 2011

IN CONTACT WITH THE GODS? Directors Talk Theatre edited by Maria M.Delgado and Paul Heritage

MASTER TEACHERS OF THEATRE: Observations on Teaching Theatre by Nine American Masters edited by Burnet M. Hobgood

A number of seminal works on directing and directors include Toby Cole and Helen Krich's 1972 "Directors on Directing:A Sourcebook of the Modern Theatre", Edward Braun's 1982 book "The Director and the Stage: From Naturalism to Growtowski" and Will's 1976 classic "The Director in a Changing Theatre".

Please feel free to add your favorite directing book/resource. I know that we have directors on this Community. 

If you are a retired Emeritus EdTA member and would like to be added to our volunteers who are posting on Wednesdays with Wisdom,  reach out to gai.jones@sbcglobal.net or gaijones2013@gmail.com.

------------------------------
    Gai Laing Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gaijones2013@gmail.com
    www.gaijones.com

• 2.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages Directing Resources

Posted 02-03-2022 07:57
    Gai,

Thanks for the nice reminder list. I would add two title that I love:
    • Play Directing by Francis Hodge
    • The Dramatic Imagination by Robert Edmond Jones   If you don't know this book, treat yourself to it. Jones changed the direction of Modern American Theatre as he designed the first sets, lights, and frequently costumes for Eugene O'Neill and other seminal playwrights of the early 20th Century. He has an amazing artistic vision that is still inspiring and thought provoking. He continually challenges me. I teach it with my Drama Major class along with A Practical Handbook for the Actor to cover both acting and all that surrounds and supports it.  Surprisingly, two books 50 years part from each other and now significantly older than our students, resonate with them and spark some great discussions and creativity.

Andrea Lee Roney
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    roneya@npenn.org
    North Penn High School
    PA
    roneya@npenn.org

• 3.  RE: Wednesdays Wisdom from EdTA Education Sages Directing Resources

Posted 02-03-2022 15:59
    The books I swear by and use often in class and in directing:
    • Ball's BACKWARDS AND FORWARDS