Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  SAGE ADVICE!

Posted 02-08-2022 12:08
    As I reflect back on my 40 wonderful years of teaching, I’d like to offer you a few observations (or reminders) that may help make your experiences even more wonderful!
    On those days in class or rehearsal when you feel like you don’t have time to do an opening warm up, DO A WARM UP! Those 10 minutes can make a difference in the focus and energy of the kiddos, and you will usually get more results from the work time afterwards. Plus, it’s FUN!
    Another suggestion is to take your students to festivals - local and state and/or national ITS. Let them be part of a larger community of like minded students as friends and not just as competitors. Widen their horizons to new experiences - seeing other shows and scenes, learning about the craft, and feeling a part of something bigger than the part(s) they play at your school. So many of my students said that attending the festivals changed their lives. I know it means fund raising, giving up your family, school, and alone time, but it is SO worth it for everyone. You will network with other educators and professionals, and those are irreplaceable experiences that make us better educators, directors, and people.
    Also, don’t give up on kids that are acting out and obviously struggling. Don’t let them wreck what you are doing in your program, but try to include them somehow. Listen to them. I can’t tell you how many e mails and messages of thanks I’ve received from these students after graduation. You just don’t always know how positively you are affecting those kiddos.
    And remember, “Take time to smell the roses”. We so often get too busy or tired to do so, and they smell so sweet.
    THANK YOU for all you have done during these difficult Covid times. You are amazing. You are my heroes.

• 2.  RE: SAGE ADVICE!

Posted 02-09-2022 11:43
    Thank you for this message! I needed to hear that right now!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Fagan
    ------------------------------