Open Forum

View Only

Noises Off

• 1.  Noises Off

Posted 12-11-2018 07:03
    I am considering doing Noises Off at some point here for our high school, and I am wondering what advice there might be out there from those of you who have done it before. Thanks!

Ken Smith
    Lakewood High School Theater
    Lake Odessa, MI

• 2.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-11-2018 12:45
    Make sure you invest in good casters. I have done the production twice. The first time the TD reused old casters and didn't' make sure that they matched. ​It was very difficult to turn the set and in the end scratched a deep circular groove in the stage deck.

------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 3.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 06-09-2022 12:38
    Good morning!
    Fairly new theatre teacher here with volunteer dads building the set. Would you be willing to share set plans for the rotating platform and/or set, or point me in the right direction? We are not taking the show to any kind of competition. Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    All best,
    Karen Nylund-Lieb
    San Diego, CA

Karen Nylund-Lieb
    West Hills High School
    CA

• 4.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-11-2018 14:25

We have done the show twice. Have a great plan as to how to do the scene changes swiftly and safely, and rehearse them well. It can be a beast of a set to do. I second the thought abut spending a bit on good casters. 

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 5.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-12-2018 07:51

Hello!

I haven't produced Noises Off, but we did do Nooses Off a few years ago (a hilarious parody).  Here are my thoughts on the tech side - we had a unit set that broke into four pieces, which made the set change at intermission very easy.  Our doors were a headache - make sure you have good doors that open and close.  We had no access to tech, so I only had hanging mics in front and ONE handheld cordless mic for "backstage".  However, the handheld was actually a blessing because they could move all around with it.  But if you are a school that can handle the mics, then mic your whole cast!  Would have been so much easier.  The audiences loved the show!​

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 6.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-12-2018 09:08
    We just did Noises Off for our fall play this year!     We actually had two different sets for our two public performances  (originally had 2 students who wanted to do an IE in Scenic Design - and finished photos are a requirement).  There are standard elements for the main structure - but the finishing touches were different in design, furniture, doors/windows.  Sadly, only one student followed through on the actual IE portfolio presentation - but that explains why you will see both a blue and green set...

Act II takes a LOT of timing  - and to keep track of the chain of possession of all the different props is key.  The flowers, for example, are brought on stage by 1 character, handed off to person #2, then back to person #1, etc... because the "lines" are upstage, but all the silent movements are happening downstage - it is a challenge to coordinate.  But the payoff is HUGE once it all comes together!  (And we just got new casters last year for our rotating set for And Then There Were None, which we also needed for Mary Poppins... those casters were an investment - but they are so awesome, and quiet!)

I filmed our scene change during intermission on opening night - here's a link:
    Noises Off-2018
    YouTube remove preview
    Noises Off-2018
    Set transition- 1st intermission
    View this on YouTube >

I also have our electronic troupe display that we put together for the PA Thespians State conference - that has a collection of photos from our last few productions - but there are several from Noises Off near the end. 
    Penn Manor Troupe #274 - Troupe Display - 2018
    YouTube remove preview
    Penn Manor Troupe #274 - Troupe Display - 2018
    Uploaded by MintzerMS on 2018-11-29.
    View this on YouTube >

​​

Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 7.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-12-2018 16:22
    I did this show about 10 years and agree with what is being said. Plan, Plan, Plan! especially scene changes, build time and strike time. It took us a long time to build just because of the sheer size, and please keep in mind your strike time. If you are going to have a big set like this on stage, make sure there is enough time in the theatre schedule to tear it down (we were not given that time, so strike was a nightmare) 
    When we did the change from act 1-2, no one left! They all stayed to watch this monster set spin. (end result, concession sales were very low)
    It is a great show, and have fun!

Aimee Evans
    Technical Director
    Lincolnshire IL

• 8.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-13-2018 08:16
    Hi Kenneth, 

Start organized.  Set aside, it is a beast to tackle with young performers, but it was one of my most successful high school productions.  At our first read through, I brought 3 different color highlighters for each actor.   They highlighted their character's lines in one color, their character's character in a different color (should sound and move differently than the actor in the play), and the door/prop they entered with or exited through in a different color.   That way, when they were getting off book, they were reviewing specifically.   Act 2 is a ballet: write it out in bullet point order and post it everywhere backstage while they are still learning it.   Once fluid, it is a beautiful thing to watch!  The timing of the doors is key; I had them watch looney tunes and old slapstick routines to get that timing specifically.  It is still talked about at our school as one of the best experiences for both actors and audience.  Have fun!

Best, 
    Jess

Jessica Fox
    Troupe Director
    Miami FL

• 9.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-13-2018 10:38
    Here's a video of our rotating platform.  It was a great base and easy for the students to rotate.  We had great success with it!  

https://www.facebook.com/osagecitytheater/videos/1179225612179111/

Kathy Camarena
    Theater Director
    Osage City High School
    Osage City KS

• 10.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-13-2018 11:20
    I am so glad to see someone else used a turntable. I was wondering about that, too.  We did a three-sided, "lazy-susan" style set for a production of Wizard of Oz back many, many years ago, and we built it on a turntable.  So I know a turntable is an option, but it would necessitate placing the set a bit farther upstage to accommodate the rotation. 

I also really appreciate seeing the non-turntable options.  I am loving all the input on this, and I have been sharing it with my Drama class as they are currently also investigating their own means for producing a play.

Thanks everyone!

Kenneth Smith
    Drama Teacher / Theater Producer
    Lake Odessa MI

• 11.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-13-2018 12:27
    Revolves are a good option for a lot of productions, and they don't always have to be round. Here are a couple of posts on revolves from my blog:

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2017/12/06/revolves-dont-have-to-be-round/

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2017/05/17/the-revolve-in-hamilton/

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2015/04/01/24/

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 12.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 12-14-2018 07:17
    Directed NOISES OFF in a small theater with a stage 45’ wide by 15’ deep by 15’ height of proscenium; did a scaled back 2nd level AND did not turn the set, instead we moved the audience to sit back stage.

Gai Laing Jones
    Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net

Www.gaijones.com

• 13.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 06-10-2022 10:04
    I directed Noises Off a number of years ago. It is one of my all time favorites and I echo everything that has been said about it. 

I worked on an enormous stage with really large wings. I built a set that was 36 feet long, 16 feet wide, two stories, and had 96 castors. We did the entire set as a wagon. We simply turned it around at the act changes. I choreographed the rotation. It took 20 students to move it. At the end of Act 1, the students walked on stage and assumed their positions. The stage manager blew a whistle and the students pushed in rotation and when the rotation was complete they shoved it upstage and then walked off. At the end of Act II, same process in reverse. It took me about a week to choreograph the scene change so that they could rotate it in place and move it up and downstage in essentially one motion. 

My stage was a 50' proscenium with a 15' apron and 45' of depth from the curtain line. That made the set work. The hardest thing for me was getting the timings right. Because of the size of the stage, some of those crosses were really long.

I've seen it done with a three part and a four part set. I have also seen it done with no rotation at all. That theatre didn't have room to rotate anything and they simply built a unit set with a set of facings velcroed to the superstructure that were moved from front to back at the scene changes and a balcony railing baluster set that slipped out to leave the standard backstage railing look.

There are lots of inventive ways to make this show happen and you'll never regret the time, energy, and creativity that it will take to make it work.

Have fun!

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Virginia Thespians
    VA

• 14.  RE: Noises Off

Posted 06-10-2022 17:56
    Several years ago I designed a set for another show that traditionally has lots of scenic elements and lots of locations: Kiss Me Kate. One of the first things the director and I agreed on was that we would limit the number of set changes to avoid slowing down the action. Budget wasn't a concern here as much as keeping the momentum going.

The solution was a simple two-story skeleton unit set with a drop that raised and lowered a vista to differentiate between "backstage" and "on stage." The only flats we used were leaning against the back wall to help create a "backstage" feel. Even the ten musicians and conductor were on stage as part of the "backstage" set. It worked out really well:

https://georgefledo.net/Kiss%20Me%20Kate.htm

Unfortunately, the stop-motion video is no longer available.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net