Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  12 Angry Jurors

Posted 12-10-2017 17:23
    Our theatre group wants to put on 12 Angry Jurors in the fall.  Who is the publisher?  If, in fact, we can use the 12 Angry Men script, do we need to get it cleared with the publisher in order to make changes due to copyright laws? We want to mix or change genders.

------------------------------
    Phyllis Novy

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 12-11-2017 08:42
    Check the board, there are several similar threads on the topic, including one very recent. Dramatic Publishing holds the rights.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 12-11-2017 10:22
    Dramatic Publishing and Samuel French. 

3 different versions
    12 Men
    12 Women
    12 Jurors

You need to touch based with the publishers.  I directed it 2 years ago as a "jurors" production.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 05-15-2022 23:17
    Dear David,

When you produced Twelve Angry Jurors, did you wait until you cast the show to make the script changes as they relate to gender, or did you decide in advance which jurors would be which gender, change the script, and then audition for the show?  

Thank you so much!
    Julie Hanisch
    Mukwonago HS
    Mukwonago, WI

Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher
    Mukwonago High School
    WI

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 05-17-2022 08:11
    When we did it a couple of years ago, we auditioned everyone with the "Men" script, and then chose the best performers for the "character" and selected the appropriate gender version of the script for each character.  It worked well for us.

Carl Rankin

• 6.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 05-18-2022 07:19
    I just directed this for our local community theatre and decided to hold auditions before deciding on the gender of specific jurors.  For my cast, Jurors 2, ,11, and 12 were female.

Jeremy Grant
    Madison Southern High School
    KY

• 7.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 12-11-2017 10:55
    I used the script from Dramatic Publishing.  They have two versions of the script:  Twelve Angry Men and Twelve Angry Women.  You can purchase a mixture of scripts to fit the gender requirements of your cast and retitle as Twelve Angry Jurors.  

The page numbers are different in both versions, which can cause confusion, so they do allow you to use one version of the script with the proper adjustments if you prefer.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 8.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 12-11-2017 12:28

Dramatic Publishing handles 12 Angry Jurors.  I did the show in 2011.  Unless they've changed since then, they have a 12 Angry Men script (the original) and a 12 Angry Women script (The differences are not just changing the pronouns; the characters are more female-oriented.)  Then, depending on how you cast the show, you do a kind of hybrid combination of the two scripts. 

Mark Quinlan

Theater Director, Head Speech Coach

Centennial High School

763-792-5099

finearts@isd12.org

• 9.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 12-11-2017 13:32
    There are three versions held by two different publishers. 

Twelve Angry Men Adapted by Sherman L Sergel, Based on the Emmy award winning television movie by Reginald Rose.  THis is for men and held by Dramatic Publishing.

Twelve Angry Women Adapted by Sherman L Sergel, blah blah blah. 
    This is for women and held by Dramatic Publishing. 

If you purchase copies of both versions, you are allowed to adapt your own version for men and women and it is called Twelve Angry Jurors. You blend the two scripts using the lines that are the gender you need for each juror. 

There is also a version of the play called Twelve Angry Men held by Samuel French.  I think it is only available for production by professional companies at this time.  But check because I could be mistaken about that.

Blair Cromwell
    Rickreall OR

• 10.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 05-16-2022 07:39

We did it in 2016 - my son was the stage manager... and it was tricky for calling cues with juggling two different scripts, since it isn't quite exactly the same.  If you send me an email, I can share some files that he used that may help you to adapt to blending the two scripts together.

Our breakdown for casting was handled AFTER auditions - and this is how it ended up:

Male Jurors - 1,2,3,5,6,10,12

Female Jurors - 4, 7, 8, 9, 11

Melissa Mintzer
    Penn Manor High School