Open Forum

View Only

Comm System

• 1.  Comm System

Posted 03-06-2022 10:40
    Just took over a theatre program that currently doesn't have a communication for the SM to communicate with the sound booth and backstage run crew/ASMs. We are looking at renting them for our upcoming production of The Little Mermaid, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ingenious ideas that they used that wouldn't break the bank. Hope to invest in a quality system in the near future, but don't have the time or budget at present.

Thanks, 
    David Derringer
    Drama Teacher
    Milford High School
    Milford, OH

------------------------------
    David Trump
    Drama Teacher
    Milford High School
    OH

• 2.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-07-2022 07:40
    Even in my old, antiquated school space, we still have clear-com hookups.  However, the actual wiring was cut out and removed years ago when new HVAC was installed.  The faculty at the time (including the Drama teacher), never knew what they were and no one bothered to ask what those hook-ups were for.

Hence, I have done what many other groups now do and use wireless, walkie-talkie style radios.  We looked into getting a system like our football team uses, but they are too bulky (they're designed to drown out crowd noise) and VERY expensive.  So, we found a system on Amazon (and recommended by other theatre professionals) that has worked very well.

So far the Arcshell Rechargeable two-way radios with headsets are working out well.  However, I would recommend upgrading to a higher quality head-set rather than the earpiece that comes with some systems.  The radios are very durable, but a boom-style headset has proven more secure as our crew moves around backstage (a photo sample is below).  

As with most technology, you get what you pay for.  We've used less expensive systems, but they had a short life-span and/or were unreliable.

In all, we have 12 radios, headsets, and a couple of back-up replacement headsets for just under $300.  We've used these radios for several years now and they've worked out well.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-07-2022 08:22
    Hi David.

While I was looking for replacement clear com headsets, I found this on amazon.  This was a last minute need and was able to get them within a couple of days and they work really well in my 800 seat theatre.
    Eartec UL5S Ultralite Full Duplex Wireless Headset Communication for 5 Users - 5 Single Ear Headsets with Solid Signal Cleaning Wipes Bundle

Gary Graff
    USITT
    FL

• 4.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-07-2022 09:58
    We currently use a professional "walkie talkie"  that we purchased in a set of 6.  They have PTT functions with lightweight headsets and are very reliable are also rechargeable.

However, In addition to some version of a "walkie talkie" you might look into Google or Microsoft instant messaging or even a Google Meet or Teams meeting between your tech team members.  Depending on your school's WiFi or internet architecture, this can be a pretty reliable alternative to buying or renting communications gear especially if you have access to Chromebooks or tablets through your media center..  We worked with this sort of set up during remote and hybrid instruction and it worked pretty well.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity High School
    NC

• 5.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-07-2022 16:18
    I have just used rechargeable walkie-talkies for years, but my space is also small, well within the 1-mile range, and not as many outside walls to block the signal. Just make sure you have ones that work with headsets that can call and have PTT (push to talk).

I have also heard of groups using Discord which is a free app used by gamers on cell phones to have your entire "party" be able to talk together.

--
    Please note: We're still in a global pandemic. Things are not normal. Your health and well-being are more important than anything. I'm going to do my best to teach, advise, and collaborate to the best of my ability. I understand that you are all doing your best given that there's a pandemic and nothing is normal. Almost everything is flexible. Just ask.

Julie Benitez, M.F.A. (she/her/hers)
    Theatre Teacher/Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Input-Learner-Intellection-Individualization-Achiever  [Clifton Strengths-Gallup]

Monte Vista High 
    3230 Sweetwater Springs Blvd I Spring Valley, CA 91977I 619.660.3179  

Monarch Theatre 2021-22 Season
    "Enriching our community through exceptional theatre with young adults."
    The Brother's Grimm Spectaculathon   Oct. 27-30 021
    Moana Jr.   March 24-April 1 2022

• 6.  RE: Comm System

Posted 05-27-2022 01:11
    Thanks for sharing the information.

You know the kinda thing - used to keep in contact with one another whilst skiing/in a resort, communicating important decisions - Where are we going for a beer? When's lunch? And generally checking up that everyone's still in one piece!

S&R has some Motorola two way radios,
    https://nrcradio.co.uk/professional-walkie-talkies/
    but I wondered if anyone has any recommendations, had encountered any pitfalls, has any advice on general usage, etc

Frederick Harley

• 7.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-08-2022 09:00
    David

Please don't use walkie talkies - especially cheap ones.  This is akin to riding a kid's tricycle in a 10k bike fundraiser.  They are simply not right for the job, tend to be awkward to use and often distracting.

Like Gary Graff found, we use, rent and recommend the EarTec Ultralight series as our cost effective solution.  That are digital, wireless and reliable over the distances found even in large auditoria.  There are certainly better options from Hollyland wireless to ClearCom or Telex AudioCom, but not as budget friendly.
    The Eartec Ultralight's are headset transceivers
    • no belt pack
    • available with single or dual earmuffs
    • are full duplex (like a phone) 
    • the position of the mic boom turns the mic on or off for those who listen more than talk

Unlike Gary, can I encourage you all to not buy off Amazon when possible - hope this doesn't affect the shares in my retirement portfolio - please support smaller retailers (local or virtual) - especially those who have dedicated themselves to helping school theatre have access to good quality products with great service.  NOW THE SALES PITCH - We only (almost) sell and rent to schools, churches and community theatres and have tailored our offerings to these.  We generally have EarTec systems in stock, offer free shipping and are here to help.

Rod Reilly
    Owner, Bodymics
    908-899-1277
    Somerset NJ

• 8.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-08-2022 11:10
    We use the EarTec system that has been mentioned previously.  It's not perfect, but it was a cost effective solution when our wired comm system went kaput.  I would encourage you to talk with Rod from Bodymics about renting from them; they're a great company that understands budget constraints.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    OR

• 9.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-08-2022 12:10
    I totally understand the limitations of a walkie talkie and it is not professional at all, BUT if you have only $100 (which is often out of pocket from the teachers themselves) to get the backstage to talk to the booth-- it is an imperfect solution. Many teachers are working with NO BUDGET in a cafetorium with sets and costumes from the generosity of friends and family. 

Granted, most of the folks who have found this forum may be beyond the starvation rationing of funds, but not all. Unfortunately, it becomes the poor person's shoe dilemma where a person of means can buy a good pair of shoes that will last them 15 years and the poor person buys the cheap shoe that they have to replace every 2 years and eventually pays more in the long run...but if you only have the choice between cheap shoes and no shoes then you do what you have to do.

That being said, Eartec looks like a great more budget-friendly alternative to Clear Com if you have the funds.

--
    Please note: We're still in a global pandemic. Things are not normal. Your health and well-being are more important than anything. I'm going to do my best to teach, advise, and collaborate to the best of my ability. I understand that you are all doing your best given that there's a pandemic and nothing is normal. Almost everything is flexible. Just ask.

Julie Benitez, M.F.A. (she/her/hers)
    Theatre Teacher/Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Input-Learner-Intellection-Individualization-Achiever  [Clifton Strengths-Gallup]

Monte Vista High 
    3230 Sweetwater Springs Blvd I Spring Valley, CA 91977I 619.660.3179  

Monarch Theatre 2021-22 Season
    "Enriching our community through exceptional theatre with young adults."
    The Brother's Grimm Spectaculathon   Oct. 27-30 021
    Moana Jr.   March 24-April 1 2022

• 10.  RE: Comm System

Posted 03-08-2022 13:53
    I have done what many other groups now do and use wireless, walkie-talkie style radios.

We looked into getting a system like our football team uses, but they are too bulky they're designed to drown out crowd noise) and VERY expensive.

So, we found a system on Amazon (and recommended by other theatre professionals) that has worked very well.

So far the Arcshell Rechargeable two-way radios with headsets are working out well.

However, I would recommend upgrading to a higher quality head-set rather than the earpiece that comes with some systems.

The radios are very durable, but a boom-style headset has proven more secure as our crew moves around backstage

[url=https://www.firstmotionproducts.com/]First Motion Products[/url]

Felix Klaus

• 11.  RE: Comm System

Posted 06-04-2022 21:14
    We used a three headset Eartec system for our production of Mamma Mia! a few weeks ago and it fit the bill perfectly.  We have a 400 seat auditorium and we didn't have any problems at all with hearing anyone or the mics cutting out.  I wore one, my stage manager had one, and our main tech person in the booth had one and it made everything so streamlined and easy as far as calling scene changes/cues.  We had a wardrobe issue with Sophie's wedding dress during the scene in Donna's bedroom and thanks to the EarTec system we had discussed and worked out a fix by the time the song was over.

Jeremy Grant
    Madison Southern High School
    KY

• 12.  RE: Comm System

Posted 06-06-2022 08:02
    Good morning,

I would get a two-way radio system. I have shoe colleagues who use the Eartec systems and while the wireless is a great feature, the headsets are prone to crack and break.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School