Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bare bones Addams Family

Posted 03-23-2022 16:51
    Please give me your opinions / insight / experience on doing Addams Family in a black box with a small (ish) cast. I'm of the mind that any show can be done in any venue with some creativity. But I've never seen the show and would appreciate your input. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Shanda Bonn
    Theatre Teacher
    Simi Valley High School
    CA

• 2.  RE: Bare bones Addams Family

Posted 03-28-2022 13:14
    Hi Shanda! There was a terrific discussion about The Addams Family several years ago, detailing the challenging pieces. This might give you an idea of some things to consider when thinking about producing it in a black box:

Addams Family

You might also take a look at this thread about why directors chose this production:

Why The Addams Family?

This production has been pretty popular, use the search feature at the top of the page to locate other past threads with specifics about the costumes, set, etc. 

Anyone else have advice for Shanda? Have you produced the show in a black box with a smaller cast? Thanks!

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    OH

• 3.  RE: Bare bones Addams Family

Posted 03-29-2022 12:44
    Hi Shanda,

We are producing Addams Family right now (we open this Sunday) in the exact way you are describing: 50 seat black box with a cast of 12 + 3 stage hands dressed as ancestors. Happy to talk more extensively off line or over Zoom (maybe after next Sunday, though!) It is working well in the space, the actors all have a ton to do and they are loving it. Let me know if you would like to chat in detail.

Amy Cole-Farrell
    Kehillah Jewish High School
    CA

• 4.  RE: Bare bones Addams Family

Posted 03-29-2022 20:39
    Hi. I would love to talk once your show has closed and you have recovered! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone