Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sage Words of Wisdom

Posted 04-06-2022 16:43

As I started doing scholarship adjudications tonight, a "wisdom" came to mind.  Please make sure that your students are following the instructions given on awards, scholarships and Thespys.  I would always look over every application before letting a student submit it.  I know you are busy, but please help your students look the best that they can be.  And troupe directors, if you submit a letter of recommendation, make sure that you do not send one that is addressed to a college to which the student has applied.  It could be the same letter, but make sure that you tweak it and change the opening so that it is addressed to EdTA.

Also, make sure students are following the rules for presenting Thespys (review the Program Guide and the rules for each category).  I heard troupe directors at our event comment that they had never seen their students' submissions. For example, video submissions should be submitted as a full body shot to allow adjudicators to accurately score movement and transitions, but many only showed the student from the shoulders up. It is our job as theatre educators to make sure that the students follow instructions and present themselves at their best.  I never had a student perform an individual event that I had not seen. Help them to "Act well your part..."

------------------------------
    Debby Gibbs
    MS
    ------------------------------