Open Forum

View Only

Scene partner relational building exercises

• 1.  Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-08-2017 09:00
    I am directing ALMOST, MAINE this fall with high schoolers and am looking for simple exercises that will allow scene partners to get to know each other on a more personal level so they can build trust and familiarity with one another. These kids barely know each other and some seniors are paired with freshman, so there's that 'class' barrier.  I've tried various trust exercises but am looking for any other ideas to help with this! Thanks

------------------------------
    Nance Weber
    Kennett High School PA

• 2.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-09-2017 09:22
    I'm doing the same show this Fall and am concerned about the same thing! "I need it to look like you know each other, like you have been married 10 years and have 3 kids..." I'm interested to see the replies! :)

Marisa Visser
    Theatre Director
    Irving TX

• 3.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-09-2017 11:56
    ​I keep finding great stuff in Teaching Theatre. Try "Developing authentic emotional response" in Winter 2015 and "Pairing Up" in Fall 2011.There's also some good stuff about touch in Dramatics Sept. 2015, which I follow up with Viola Spolin's Contact exercise. I also religiously use Stop Your Partner from Leaving from: Acting: Onstage and Off
    Google Books remove preview
    Acting: Onstage and Off
    ACTING: ONSTAGE AND OFF demonstrates how offstage performance can be effectively adapted for the theatre, as well as how onstage training can be applied toward leading a full life outside the theatre. Barton's humorous and conversational writing style helps students learn all phases of actor training, including scene study, auditioning, observation, and mind, voice and body relaxation techniques.
    View this on Google Books >

If you need more, let me know. I do lots of two-person scene exercises, and we did Almost, Maine a few years ago at the Virginia Theatre Association competition.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 4.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-09-2017 14:42
    Last year, I did Over the River and Through the Woods and sent my old couples on a date. They went and had dinner and had to go DO something. Then they had to write about what they learned about the other person. It actually helped build their relationship on and off the stage.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 5.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-09-2017 15:47
    There's a great simple exercise that really connects you, and all to do with breath.  It's a little uncomfortable at first, but that's the barrier your trying to break down.  
    You simply:
    • Have  partner A sit down, then partner B sit's right behind them, wrapping their arms around partner A's stomach, so they can feel their breath.
    • Then, just have them breath, feeling each others breath.  Don't force fake breath, just breathe naturally.  Soon their breathes will begin to sync up.
    • Then switch around A & B.

You must be very clear this is not sexual or inappropriate in any manner, it's truly connecting through breath.  Suddenly, after 2 or 3 exercises of this, that uncomfortableness goes away, and they know each other intimately=without the sexuality.  

Worked wonders for me as an actor, as well as a teacher.

Hope that helps!

Swaine Kaui
    Program Director
    Honolulu HI
    www.swainekaui.com

• 6.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-10-2017 10:55
    In the Acting class I am currently taking right now, we're doing scenes from "Almost, Maine" as well. What has helped my partner and myself is we do Meisner repetition prior to doing the scene. Some say that the technique is a little too extreme for high school, but I strongly disagree. I guarantee it will help your actors perform because they will get to know their partners and help them become more in the moment.

I hope this helps.

Brian Percival
    Emporia KS

• 7.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-11-2017 10:12
    I am a huge advocate of the repetition exercise as well -- as long as it's done well. Any kind of trust building exercises will also help with the bonding. I use the car exercise where one person is "driving" the car, the "car" has their eyes closed and is being led around the room with other "cars." Also, interior/exterior is a great physical warm-up. I can explain in greater detail if these appeal to you.

Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater and Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 8.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-12-2017 07:38
    There are lots of scene-building and relationship-building activities we do.  Here are a few that should work with Almost, Maine (we did this a few years ago--great show!)
    1. Have the students sit back-to-back and practice their scene (encourages them to really listen to each other)
    2. Have the students sit face-to-face with knees touching and practice their scene.  Then, have them repeat and maintain eye contact while they speak/listen to each line. (option two seems a bit choppy, but encourages connection)
    3. Give the pair a ball.  As they deliver their line, the toss, bounce, or roll the ball to their partner. (helps find intensity and define emotional arc)
    4. Pair grasps wrists and literally pulls their partner toward them or pushes them away, depending on the intention of each line. (more connection, non-threatening physical contact, understanding emotional arc)
    5. Pair runs the scene, maintaining some sort of physical contact throughout.  They MUST remain touching for the entire scene.  See above.

Good luck with the show!

Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com

• 9.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-13-2017 15:33
    Thanks so much for these suggestions!  I am looking forward to trying some of them out on our cast tomorrow!

Nance Weber
    Kennett Square PA

• 10.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-13-2017 08:13
    I've never personally tried this exercise; however, one of my theatre instructor friends swears by it. Back in 2015, the New York Times published an article, "To Fall in Love with Anyone, Do This," about how a writer used a set of 36 scientifically-tested questions to forge intimacy between herself and her soon-to-be partner. The questions were developed by a psychologist, Arthur Aron, and "[explored] whether intimacy between two strangers [could] be accelerated by having them ask each other a specific series of personal questions." You can find the list of 36 questions here.

My friend has her scene-partners ask each other the 36 questions and then stare into each other's eyes for four minutes in complete silence. (If you try this activity, you may even want to have your students read the NYT article beforehand. I believe that the author talks at-length about how awkward yet enlightening staring into someone's eyes can be.) Apparently, the exercise really does create a sense of intimacy between two people who don't know each other particularly well.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 11.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 10-14-2017 10:27
    I had a cast of ten when we did this recently as a group. We went around the circle and allowed everyone to answer one question per day. Then, they picked a new partner each day to stare at, starting at only 30 seconds and working up to three minutes over time. The students LOVED. I did not. The cast became very close, so it was successful on that front. But it became a therapy session, where they would all end up in tears and it took up way too much rehearsal time each day. They were so disappointed when I stopped it, but they understood that we would never get the show ready if we kept it up.

• 12.  RE: Scene partner relational building exercises

Posted 01-09-2023 15:18
    Can confirm- this works wonderfully. I did this with my two leads for The Music Man and afterward, they were much more comfortable with their scenes together.

Autumn Gonzales
    Scappoose High School
    OR