Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Awards at Induction Ceremony

Posted 03-23-2022 16:17
    I've read up on traditions for induction ceremonies. I am looking to find out what awards people give out beyond Inductions, Scholars, Honor Thespians and Best Thespian.

My school has never had a theatre program before so this is our charter ceremony (even though I chartered a troupe in October we didn't have anyone able to be inducted yet) as well as our first induction. I'm really proud of the work I have done and will be able to induct 31 students at our ceremony!
    My school spans 5th-11th grade (next year will have 12th graders as well) so I have both Junior and "Senior" Thespians to induct. Since it is our first ceremony we don't have anyone who is already a member to "pass the torch". I'm already planning to do a "rising thespian" award for my 5th graders who have done some amazing work in our show.

Are there other awards specific to ITS?
    Are there special awards you give out?

------------------------------
    Becky Gil
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Willows Preparatory School
    Redmond, WA
    www.willowsprep.com
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Awards at Induction Ceremony

Posted 03-24-2022 07:10
    We recognize new Thespians, students who letter (we use the ITS point procedure for lettering, too), we vote on 'Thespians Of the Month' or TOM awards each month so they get an additional shout out at our awards, and have recognition of Seniors, too. Additional highlights I usually add are to recognize students who direct one-acts and I also recognize stage managers as they don't always get the recognition they deserve throughout the year. 
    I continued a tradition from a previous instructor and we have Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Best Bit & Bit More Part awards. Students vote on these but additional awards like Musical Theatre and Technical Theatre awards are selected by staff. 
    One of my favorite awards is an award we started after we did a show called 'The Jellybean Conspiracy' and it's called the Jellybean Award. The focus of that show was to include students with disabilities and theatre of kindness. The students who are selected are the ones we see including others, helping others, being ambassadors of our program, and constantly reaching out to make sure others feel welcome in our program. We'd hope that would be every person in our program, yet we know it doesn't always happen that way. 
    Sometimes the memorable stuff about awards might be simple things like having a simple photo booth place where students can take selfies together - we've also had fun using themes some years or playing a game or two after. 
    Oh - I almost forgot. My students also usually put together a photo slide show that's good to play at the end and let them relive the memories of activities, crew work, and performances. It doesn't have to be very long - but it's great to take a few minutes to look back on their year.
    Just some random thoughts. Hope they help! 

Kate Lindsay

Theatre Director, Salina High School South

730 E. Magnolia Rd., Salina, KS 67401

785.309.3675 ph.  785.309.3675 fax

Alternate email – kate.lindsay@staff.usd305.com

www.salinasouththeatre.com

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this communication and destroy all copies.

Unified School District #305 does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability in admission or access to, or treatment or employment in, its programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups.  Any person having inquiries concerning Unified School District #305 compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI, ADA, Title IX, or Section 504 is directed to contact the Unified School District #305 Executive Director of Human Resources, P.O. Box 797, Salina, Kansas 67402, 785-309-4726.