Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Puffs

Posted 05-17-2022 11:32
    Hi! I am considering "Puffs" for my high school winter play and wondering what others experiences were with it. My main concern is for the audience who may not all know all things Harry Potter. Can someone who barely knows a thing about the series still enjoy it? I am watching the Off-Broadway show and find it very cute, but a little frenetic in how much the time flies by - 7 years. I am sure much is missed since I only know the extreme basics of the Potter world. (I would read the books if I directed it of course, but that doesn't help the audience much) 

I do like how many roles there are, especially if you don't triple up with the characters. I also enjoy that the students age range is similar to those who will be on stage. 

Any thoughts? I see so many schools doing it, and fell in love with the Wayne monologue at the beginning. ...hence my research into it. 

Ilana Meredith 
    Great Neck South High School 

• 2.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-18-2022 14:12
    "Puffs" is also on our shortlist for next year.  I, too, would like to know from others how it worked with audiences.  Also, I'm at a rural high school, would you recommend the regular 2 act version or the "for Younger Wizards" version? I have a perusal, but won't have time to read it until school is out.

------------------------------
    Carl Rankin
    Tech Director
    Bedford HS - Bedford, IA

• 3.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-18-2022 14:26
    Hi!

My school did Puffs fall 2019 and it is by far the BEST play we have done yet. I have incoming students asking when they will get the chance to do Puffs next.  Audiences do not need to understand or have background knowledge of Harry Potter to enjoy the show.  Of course, the jokes are better received by those who do have the background but it is not necessary.  Your audience will fall in love with the characters throughout the journey.  I would recommend doing the Young Wizards Edition and there is little to no difference from the One Act 90ish minutes to the Full length 110ish minutes.  Just  a heads up that the show is TECH heavy.  Around 700+ sound cues and 500+ lighting cues. Matt Cox (writer) will rent out the sound effects which are totally worth it if you do not have a strong tech crew.  My sound and lighting techs enjoyed this show so much.  There are also over 100+ props and if you have the standard 11 (I think) cast members there will be several quick changes.  I did the show with 17 total in cast.  The main students stayed the same (11 with narrator) and the other 6 played the multiple remaining roles. 

I would also recommend using the facebook page as a great resource as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/148485844026652

Third or Nothing!!

Kristen Bishoff
    Dircecter & ITS Troupe Advisor
    Chesapeake High School & Chesapeake Bay Middle School
    Pasadena, MD

• 4.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-18-2022 20:56
    Thank you for your response!!  This is very helpful.  Yes, it seems rather tech heavy, so that is definitely going to factor into my decision.  Thanks for the info. on our cast size and how it was received by the audience.  
    I'll check out the facebook page.  Thanks again!!

Ilana Meredith
    Drama Teacher/Theatre Director
    NY

• 5.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-19-2022 13:32
    I am doing Puffs in the fall and I am also thinking about separating out some of the roles to get more kids involved. I would be interested to see how you broke down the roles. I want to make sure all the actors have something to do and feel involved but I don't want any of them to have too much and feel overwhelmed. 

Would you be willing to share your cast breakdown? It would just help me as I prepare for auditions in August. Thanks!

Ben Fraley

• 6.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-18-2022 16:21
    We just closed this show a few weeks ago and had a blast with it.  Audiences were very receptive of it and seemed to enjoy it a lot.  I will say that our student population probably enjoyed it a bit more than some of our older audience members.  I did have several people, though, who confessed that they didn't know anything about Harry Potter or they hadn't read the books/seen the movies in a long time, and they still enjoyed it.  We did the "Young Wizards" version.  It worked well for our students and audience. 

Best wishes,

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Hickman High School
    MO

• 7.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-18-2022 20:54
    Thank you so much for your response.  Glad it was such a success with Potter and non-Potter fans alike :)

Ilana Meredith
    NY

• 8.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-20-2022 11:28
    We did PUFFS in the fall of 2021, and it was a smashing success at our school. Audiences loved it. The only questionable scene is where Mr. Voldy is flirting with one of the Death Buddies. We made is as comical as possible so that there were no issues regarding "consent."
    I had limited knowledge of the books, but I had watched all the movies the summer before. My students were a big help in  this regard. I didn't have the answers to all the references and commentary (and that is ok!). It still resonated with audiences because we learn about the main characters through the storytelling.  I recommend stitching scenes together early on because there are a lot, and the more run throughs we did before opening night, the better. The play needs to start and continue the momentum. The playwright has some suggestions about the speed of the text in the notes. Hope all this helps, and break a leg! 

Miguel Zavala
    Theatre Teacher
    CA

• 9.  RE: Puffs

Posted 05-22-2022 20:58
    Thank you so much for your detailed response.  Yes, I definitely plan to read all the books or watch the movies before I begin.  Yes, from watching the Off-Broadway show, it definitely appears that scenes do not "end" and as you said, the pacing is so integral to the piece.  So glad it was a huge success!!  Thanks again for your input into this!!

Ilana Meredith
    NY