Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Grandparents bed

Posted 04-25-2022 08:25
    Hello! We are producing Willy Wonka and I was wondering if anyone has any great ideas for how to build or create the grandparents bed in the Bucket Shack, that may be  more open to the audience than it is in the movie? Thanks for any info!

• 2.  RE: Grandparents bed

Posted 04-26-2022 10:26
    We built a bed like a raised platform and then added the blankets and pillows on top so that it could be wheeled on and off just like a wagon. They also moved the bed in the number to be seen better.

Kelly Thomas
    Department of Theatre
    Department of Art
    Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School
    3300 Poteet Drive
    Mesquite, Texas 75150
    kthomas@mesquiteisd.org<mailto:kthomas@mesquiteisd.org>
    972-882-5300

• 3.  RE: Grandparents bed

Posted 04-26-2022 10:34

So I'm our production our grandparents stood in between a headboard and a footboard that I found. Here's a picture of us putting the pieces together. It worked out really nicely. 

------------------------------
    Jodi Hazuka
    Troupe Director
    Omaha Bryan Senior High School
    NE

• 4.  RE: Grandparents bed

Posted 04-28-2022 13:43
      |   view attached
    HI.  This was our solution for the bed.
    The headboard was attached to a moveable flat.  The pillows were also attached to the headboard.  The actors were actually sitting on a bench.  The footboard was freestanding with the bedspread attached, so the actors pulled it up to look like they were laying in bed.  A very quick and easy set change.

If needed for other scenes, the footboard can be a reversible bench with the bedspread removed.

Break a leg.
    Robert Laconi

Robert Laconi

• 5.  RE: Grandparents bed

Posted 04-28-2022 17:03
    Thank you!! That's a great idea!