Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  BiPoc Scenes and Poems

Posted 03-21-2022 16:39
    My 6th grade students are supposed to be researching the history of BiPOC theatre, movies, and tv.  As a white educator,  it feels inappropriate for me to tell them what's meaningful. They're dragging their heels on coming up with suggestions for scenes to perform. I've made some suggestions but am not sure what else to lead them towards. So far they're choosing to perform a scene from Raisin In The Sun, a scene from Fresh Prince of Bel Air, a scene from Black Panther, and a Langston Hughes poem. 

How can I give the students a wider swath of history? The school is almost completely Black and brown students, and I've had many conversations about representation in the arts. I'm especially flummoxed about what to suggest for our Latine and Muslim students. 

If your advice is let them lead- they're not taking on the responsibility of leading no matter how much I encourage, plead and bargain. I'm offering all the resources I can find, which aren't many. 

Please suggest some content my sixth graders will dig into!!!

--

Wendy

her/she/hers/they/them

Words matter. 

Amanda Gorman

I was really aware, even while it was happening, that the discovery of arts education in my life sort of saved my life. 

Daveed Diggs

What makes us special makes us strong. 

Shrek The Musical

Tell me, what will I do, with these hands of mine. 

Brother Sun

• 2.  RE: BiPoc Scenes and Poems

Posted 03-22-2022 08:04
    Maya Angelou is fantastic as is the amazing young poet who performed at President Biden's Inauguration, Amanda Gorman. I have seen numerous Shakespearean  shows produced as well. Devon Glover, the Sonnet Man, would be an incredible resource. You can reach him through messenger. He works with students all of the time and is fabulous. I bet he would zoom with your students as well. Have you thought of students writing their own pieces, using their own voices?  It sounds like they would have a lot to say.

It sounds like you are working hard to make the best world for your students. Don't give up. You are indeed a light for them.

------------------------------
    Jennifer Morgan
    Director of Theatre
    Brownell Talbot School
    KS
    ------------------------------