Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Course Performance/Production Requirement

Posted 04-30-2022 11:38

A couple of my classes (advanced theatre and technical theatre) have a performance/production requirement as part of the course.  The performances usually take place in the evening and students are expected to attend the dress/tech rehearsals and performances as part of the course grade.  This is also the case with some of our band/choir classes too.  Performing a production during class time is not always practical and would make it impossible for many friends/family to see the show, so I feel this isn't a great option.

I provide information about show/rehearsal dates at the beginning of the semester, well in advance and provide frequent reminders....and yet almost EVERY time, I have a 1 or 2 students who end up with a random conflict or who try to find a way to get out of doing the production.    I'm just tired of fighting this battle every semester.  

Who feels like they have a successful way of dealing with this?   

------------------------------
    Blake Wilson
    Theatre Arts Director
    Orange High School
    NC

• 2.  RE: Course Performance/Production Requirement

Posted 05-01-2022 17:41
    In the first couple of days of class, I gave students a contract to take home and get signed by a parent.  If they didn't return the contract or returned it with a note saying they were not going to be available for any of the tech/dress rehearsals and performances, I sent them to the counseling office to switch classes.  

Each tech/dress rehearsal and performance was a graded assignment, for which I used a rubric.  I penalized students who were not present for part or all of a tech/dress rehearsal or performance--due to some situation that arose after the contracts were turned in--by deducting a percentage of points.  

Another powerful incentive was that I assigned understudies from within the cast.  Those understudies popped into the roles for any absences during the class rehearsals.  If an actor couldn't manage to show up for rehearsals regularly, the role went to the understudy.  If an actor suddenly had a conflict with "just one of the performances," the role went to the understudy and the actor with the difficulty in scheduling shifted to the role the understudy vacated. 

One of the reasons this system worked for me was that I had a policy of allowing additional credit assignments in every course.  X points per hour on a Saturday workday.  X points for each additional play read and written report submitted.  X points for attending a local production and writing a critique.  I didn't give activity or rehearsal points when a student was absent, so being able to substitute in points earned by doing something educational was essential.

Fighting battles is exhausting.  (No manager at McDonald's or Wendy's agonizes over not paying those same students for not showing up for a shift.  Showing up is a life skill.)

• 3.  RE: Course Performance/Production Requirement

Posted 05-02-2022 15:57
    I also have contended with this issue this year. I had parents tell me I could not require after-school involvement, and that I could not restrict other activities. I had several students go out for sports without talking to me after they had already signed the contract. Our pre-tech week had longer rehearsals and all of them had meets and practices during that week. I dropped grades and parents complained, and then kids got mouthy. One parent took it to the principal. Most of the ones involved are transfer students who came because of our performing arts magnet. In reality, they came for better opportunities in sports. The principal told them they are here on transfer and their ability to remain is contingent on them performing as required. His support was important to me on this battle!

The end result was that I made the decision to not require performance from the class next year. I will do smaller productions and only take students who want to do it. Performance for the class will still require evening performances, but not after-school rehearsals. I feel that I am compromising my objectives, but I don't have the desire to fight this again.

Ellen Di Filippo