Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-20-2017 11:50
    Hello everyone!  I am looking for a good source for stage-worthy wigs.  We are doing Rock of Ages and need some BIG HAIR!  There are two wigs for guys that I need that I am particularly concerned about looking good and not halloween costumey.  Suggestions for suppliers?  So much of what I've gotten in the past has been hit or miss.  I don't want to spend an inordinant amount, but I am willing to pay a little more for quality for at least those two.  

Amy Neal Bussey
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Drama and English Teacher
    Theatre Program Director
    VHSL One-Act & Forensics Coach

• 2.  RE: Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-21-2017 08:21
    There are several good wig sources on eBay.  Tragic Mountain, Pure Costumes, TOYNK -- we have had good luck with all of those, and are still using our Rod Stewart-style men's wig purchased 10 years ago.  Lacey Wigs is a terrific manufacturer, and they FIT our big-headed gentlemen and ladies!  Drag wig vendors are another possibility, although you WILL pay for them.  Best of luck, and enjoy your search -- break a leg with Rock of Ages!

------------------------------
    Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 3.  RE: Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-21-2017 08:23
    I've had good luck with Vogue Wigs. Good quality for the price, and they hold up pretty well. Also, once they have your email address, you'll get sale notices which are great, if the timing is right. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 4.  RE: Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-21-2017 12:42
    I really like a company called Amphigory.  Good wigs, and very reasonable prices.  Online, and excellent service.

We also use wigs.com when we have to, but their wigs are a little old ladylike.  

Jeremy Goldson
    Theatre Director, Stage Flight Theatre 
    Sports Broadcasting Supervisor, VistaNow, Mountain Vista Student Media
    Mountain Vista High School
    303-387-1558
    Awards Director, Colorado Thespians

Stage Flight Theatre 2016-2017 Season
    The Philadelphia Story, October 27-29, 2016
    The Unfinished, November 18-19, 2016
    TBA, February 10-11, 2017
    Disney's Beauty and the Beast, March 2-4, 9-11, 2017
    Sunday Night, April 27-29, 2017
    Ensemble Musicals, May 12, 2017

This email message, any chain of emails of which this message is a part, any attachments, and any metadata contained therein are for the sole use of the intended recipients and may contain information that is confidential. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. Please do not read, copy, or disseminate this email message/email chain, any attachments or any metadata contained therein unless you are the intended recipient. If you have received this email/email chain in error, please call us (collect) at 303-387-1558 and ask to speak with the message sender. Also, we would appreciate your forwarding the message/email chain back to us and deleting it from your system. Thank you.

• 5.  RE: Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-22-2017 12:02
    I have always used theatrehouse.com. Nice variety & great prices. 

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 6.  RE: Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-22-2017 12:09
    I'm a really big fan of Outfitters Wig in Hollywood, CA. They've done custom wigs for several of my shows and they always look great and hold up to numerous performances.

They have very reasonably priced pre-styled wigs, from about $35-65. They do custom styled wigs for $80 and they do beautiful work. Very friendly, great service. Luckily, I'm a local. But I know they ship and are super nice.

http://www.outfitterswig.com/

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 7.  RE: Best source for wigs?

Posted 02-23-2017 20:39
    There's a shop in Portland, which sells online, that has been around forever and is a go-to for production companies in stage, TV and movies. Shirley Wells is the owner and she's a legend in the wig business. She and her daughters should be excellent help in finding exactly what you're looking for! Check out www.wigsunlimited.com and give them a call or email.  503-626-2727 / thewigwizard@yahoo.com 

Sara Thompson