Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice needed

Posted 05-09-2022 17:06
    I am having much angst choosing a musical for my small and predominantly female drama program (we have 4 boys total, but often use girls in boy roles as needed ). I need advice on the following shows...any big issues, will they work for a group like mine?

Anne of Green Gables the musical
    No, No, Nanette
    Seussical

I'd love any input From folks who have done these shows as possible. Are they good? Well received? Did kids enjoy them?

--
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Advice needed

Posted 05-10-2022 05:23

Of the three I've only directed Seussical … but I'd say it's probably the most recognizable also (we did AGG straight play about 10 years ago and it was well received also). 

We loved doing Seussical… lots of flexibility in casting (Horton is the only character that has to be played by a boy … there is alternate music if you cast the cat or Jojo with a girl actor). Set is also very open for interpretation as our costumes. We did ours with a 20s flare so our jungle animals were all in jewel tones and flapper style dresses and our Who's were all 1950s style in reds, yellows and blues. It was a fun show to design. 

Best of luck on your choice ! 

------------------------------
    Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    Ogemaw Heights High School
    MI

• 3.  RE: Advice needed

Posted 06-08-2022 07:14
    yeah, Based on the stories and characters from the popular Dr. Seuss books, boys and girls will truly enjoy this zany Musical Theatre Camp! Young performers will be excited to portray characters and perform "Oh the Thinks You Can Think', "Horton Hears a Who" , "Green Eggs and Ham" and more! Children absolutely love this camp as they work with actual performers from the Seaside School, learn excerpts from songs and dances, create they're own props and costume accents, and have the time of their life!

Frederick Harley