Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lamps in the theatre

Posted 04-13-2022 08:46
    Anyone tried putting alot of lamps in the theatre more precisely pink lamps. I have a lot of them and idea arose in my mind to give my next act in soft ambient light.

------------------------------
    Gregory Louw

• 2.  RE: Lamps in the theatre

Posted 04-13-2022 15:31
    It's not clear if you are thinking of using portable house lamps with pink bulbs, or changing-out the houselights to use pink lamps. 

I'd be very cautious about having any freestanding house lamps (table lamps or torchieres) in the audience area.  They are both too unstable to have a large traffic flow past, and the power extension cord requirements in a theatre are very specific (Ref: NFPA 70 National Electric Code [NEC], Table 400, Articles 518, and 520).  You cant just string residential / consumer grade extension cords around a theatre (yeah, all those Home Depot green, orange, yellow cords you have been using are illegal).

If replacing the lamps in the existing houselight fixtures, then the main concern would be providing adequate illumination levels.  Without knowing what fixtures you have, how they are laid-out, and at what height they are mounted above the seating plane, it is really difficult to say if that would work.

More clarification about your intent would be helpful.  Also information about where you are located (country) may help to understand what electric code you may be working under (I referenced the US Electric code, which is a guiding document in many countries, but some countries use various other regional codes).

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems LLC