Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Newly Inducted

Posted 03-09-2022 10:02
    Hello! I'm about to be inducted officially to the Thespian Society in a few days, at my school's honor night. I also recently got cast in our spring musical. But I';m a freshman, and I don't relay know anyone- I have to admit, its kind of terrifying. Everyone seems so much more talented, so much more confident and experienced than me, and I don;t know how to put myself out there- I relay want this, I've been dreaming of being a part of a theatre troupe for years. Any advice for how I can become more a part of my troupe and less of the new guy?

------------------------------
    Elis Mosteller
    Carrollton High School

• 2.  RE: Newly Inducted

Posted 03-10-2022 09:34
    Elis,

Congratulations! Being inducted into your Thespian troupe is truly an honor, reflective of much hard work on your part. YOU did that. Be proud of that work - you're far from being a "newbie" just by doing that work alone. But in regard to feeling like those upperclassmen are more confident and experienced... In some ways, they are. They've had the time to work through the nerves and to learn how to make bold acting choices or execute a really amazing lighting design... or whatever it is. And they've been friends for longer, so they have built relationships. But that doesn't mean there's not a place at the table for you. Be excited to work with your peers. Watch them. Listen to them. Learn from them. Let them challenge you and elevate you to their level. You'll probably make mistakes and look silly in front of them at some point. And that's part of it. The best learning experiences come from big, silly, ridiculous mistakes. Laugh at yourself. And your classmates will support you and laugh with you and then next time, you'll get it right and they'll cheer you on. You're getting an experience many freshmen don't get and it will make you better.

You're exactly where you need to be doing exactly what you need to do. Silence the little voice inside your head that says you're the outsider. You're not. You're in, my friend. (BTW - this feeling follows you around into adulthood. You just learn to push through it and tell that little voice to be quiet.)

If you're seeking ways to engage with your older peers outside of acting work (like in conversation), remember this: Everyone loves to talk about themselves. A great way to start a conversation is to ask a question. And then really listen to the answer. You'll find common ground. Perhaps ask them about their experience in their first show at your school. 

I wish you so much success and happiness, Elis! You're going to have a great time in the musical!

Matt Curtis
    Content & Marketing Director
    Educational Theatre Association
    OH

• 3.  RE: Newly Inducted

Posted 03-10-2022 09:50
    How exciting.  Just attend regular troupe meetings to start and you can find some opportunities to volunteer for committees that are needed.  It's a very welcoming group of performers usually.  Even the most talented students started right where you are--terrified and insecure because you are comparing yourself to seasoned performers.  Absolutely admire and look up to those who shine on stage, but recognize and accept that differences are a HUGE benefit in theatre.  No one is YOU and that means at some point there will be a role that you can do better than even the most seasoned performers.  So excited for your journey to begin.

Break a leg!

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Westwood Middle School
    FL

• 4.  RE: Newly Inducted

Posted 03-10-2022 12:06
    Aloha, Elis!

I think many of us can relate to your situation. I remember being a new freshman diving into an established theatre program - ah 1984!

Anyway, one suggestion I have is to see if you have common interests with anyone (other than theatre activities). Some of my students bond because they love anime, D and D, Marvel films, Stranger Things, Jane Austen, etc. Another is to just be helpful. Does anyone need help running lines off stage? You might ask for help yourself. "Anyone have advice about surviving Mr. So and So's Algebra class?"

I'd guess that many other students in the cast were once in your position. Perhaps they'll recall what it was like being the new student on the block. Maybe ask them how they got comfortable in the group when they were freshmen. Lastly, everyone enjoys compliments. If you think someone sings a song particularly well, tell them! A little positivity goes a long way!

Best wishes,
    Mr. Duval

• 5.  RE: Newly Inducted

Posted 03-10-2022 13:06
    Elis, you must have already done theatre work in your community and/or your school to be qualified to become a Thespian in your freshman year.  Congratulations!

One of the probable reasons that your fellow students seem so talented and confident is that they have taken courses in addition to their extracurricular work.  The more you learn, the more tools you will have to consistently craft outstanding performances.  Your school offers beginning, intermediate, and advanced drama classes.  Take them all!  In addition to learning a great deal, you'll also meet and get to know your fellow students. 

Being part of the cast of a musical is also a great way to get to know people, but try to avoid talking when your focus should be on being quiet so the director and musical director can work with the cast.  Nothing will make people avoid you faster than knowing they will be called down because you are talking to them during rehearsal.  Instead, watch for opportunities to be helpful.  If a piece of set needs moving, be the one who jumps up to volunteer.  If someone asks for help running lines in the hall or lobby, volunteer.  Be off-book on your lines ahead of the deadline and practice the choreography at home (but don't brag about it.)  Always have a pencil.  Take good care of your costume pieces.  In short, be the cast member you would like everyone else to be, and you'll be the kind of theatre friend people will want.

You are just beginning your high school Thespian journey.  I wish you all the best as you learn and grow!

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville, NC