Open Forum

View Only

Ph.D. Theatre Education

• 1.  Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-12-2018 17:40
    Does anyone know of or have experience with Ph.D. programs in Theatre Education? Bonus points for distance learning being possible. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 2.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 07:36
    Following! I've always wondered the same thing! Most internet searches aren't very fruitful!

Laura Beeman Nugent
    Theatre Teacher
    Loyola College Prep Troupe 6829
    Artistic Director
    Shreveport Little Theatre Academy
    Shreveport, LA

• 3.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 07:51
    I'm doing an MA in theatre at Regent University. They may have a PhD.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 4.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 09:53
    Following this conversation. Would also like one that gives credit for years and experience in the Theatre classroom.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 5.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 10:02
    Definitely interested in this too! I've been itching to go back to school. I have an MFA already, so a <g class="gr_ gr_238 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" id="238" data-gr-id="238">PhD</g> seems the natural next step.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 6.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 15:10
    Kristi Jacobs-Stanley, what is your MFA in?
    I’ve been told that an MFA is a terminal degree and therefore, as far as our state is concerned, MFA acts like a PhD.

---------------------------------
    Juniper Wallace
    Theatre Director

Brandon MS
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 14:31
    I don't know specifically about the distance learning at University of Birmingham, but I have friends/colleagues who did their teacher training (Theatre) there.  It has an excellent reputation for Theatre Education.

Kristin Hall
    Drama Director
    Lincoln Public Schools
    Arlington MA

• 8.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-16-2018 12:15
    Juniper, My MFA is in Theater Management. It is indeed a terminal degree. I really love learning in a structured environment with like-minded individuals, and the university setting. I've just been itching to be back in school lately, and want to learn as much as I can about different opportunities. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 9.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 03-15-2024 17:16

I second this comment. An MFA is a terminal degree. 

Ryan Briggs
    Drama Teacher
    Leestown Middle School
    KY

• 10.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 03-16-2024 11:53

If an MFA acts like a PhD in one's state, then that should be reflected in the teachers' Salary Schedule.  Check your district's Salary Schedule.  For instance, the district I live in (I no longer teach at a district) has salary categories for MA+0 up to MA+90, and then PhD is the same pay rate as MA+90.  So presumably, you could get your Masters and then earn more credits, or get your Masters and go straight to your PhD, and be paid the same.  I've seen other districts however where the PhD pay rate is higher than any MA+x.

Beth Rand, EBMS

NEW! CruiseTechies blog - learn all about career opportunities for your vocational students in theatres aboard cruise ships
    https://www.cruisetechies.com/cruisetechies-blog

8 FREE Action Steps: Level Up Support and Funding for your school theatre
    https://www.presett.org/8actionsteps.html

www.PRESETT.org
    beth@PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 11.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 10:32
    The University of Birmingham in the UK offers distance learning. I completed my MA in Performing Arts Ed at LIPA, and I really love the approach to process and theory. The cost is comparable to any other PhD program. I've put links below to Birmingham, NYU and a general 'PhD Theatre programs in the US'. Good luck! 

Drama and Theatre Studies PhD (On-Campus or By Distance Learning), Ph.D. - Online by University of Birmingham, United Kingdom - PhDportal.com

A more traditional approach (on campus): 
    PhD in Educational Theatre in Colleges and Communities - Educational Theatre - NYU Steinhardt

Doctoral Program Directory - American Society For Theatre Research (ASTR)

Nicole Tremblay
    Director of Theater
    Indianapolis IN

• 12.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2018 10:34
    I've been looking for a program, too! I thought I remembered one of the university reps at an EdTA conference - maybe two years ago? - say that they were considering working on a distance PhD.... but I can't remember which one!

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 13.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 08:50
    There are a number of programs with varied requirements. The American Society for Theatre Research has a Doctoral Program Directory with links to universities around the world. Their site is astr.org.

Kate Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 14.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 09:04
    I know while I was competing my MA through University of Houston's Summer MA program there was some mention of them developing a similar Summer/ Distance Learning based PhD. But I doubt that will be anytime soon.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA Theatre '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 15.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-15-2018 10:29
    Victoria, 

I see you graduated from Virginia Commonwealth. I looked into their Ph.D. in Theatre Pedagogy at one point. But, it wasn't the best timing. I wish they would do something online. Thanks for the info!

Taylor

Taylor Horne
    Jacksonville FL

• 16.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 10:38
    I completed my Ph.D. in Educational Theatre at NYU this past fall. I do not know if the program has a set "distance learning" option, but members of my cohort lived out West; one was from Korea. Dr. David Montomgery is the program director (dm635@nyu.edu).

You might also look into Arizona State and the University of Texas as other possibilities. I believe programs may exist in Michigan , Florida, and Wisconsin, as well, though I don't know of the specific colleges.

Good luck! And get funding!

Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lacey Township High School
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 17.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 12:03
    Depending upon your interest and rationale, you might also explore the Ed.D., which NYU just launched 2 years ago. Project-based rather than research-based. I also believe it takes less of the time. NYU''s is the only one I know of in the field, but there may be others.

MFA is also a terminal degree, as previously mentioned, however, it is primarily used for teaching technique and artistry in higher ed. Not sure if the wider implications of that degree in the field. Again, it depends upon your interest and needs.

Jim DeVivo, Ph.D.
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Lacey Township High School
    Lanoka Harbor NJ

• 18.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 12:41
    I have an MFA in Theatre for Youth from Arizona State University. While it is a terminal degree, most school systems do not recognize it as anything more than a Masters for pay purposes. It's insulting and infuriating. 

Arizona State also has a PhD in theatre for youth but it is not a distance program. NYU has both a PhD and EdD in Educational Theatre. I believe that NYU is exploring the logistics of the EdD being a program that can be completed long distance. 

I'd be interested to lean of other programs as I'm interested in a doctorate as well. 

Cheers,
    -Riley

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Director of Theatre
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 19.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2018 18:58

Some PhD programs can be found at CU Boulder (brick and mortar) and University of Northern Colorado (hybrid online).  But…

Last year I applied to the Theatre department at CU Boulder for a PhD. I didn't get in and was told I was a "strong candidate" but they could only take two people. Then this year I applied to the Education department at UNCo for an EdD. This is a "hybrid" program "for busy professionals", which is mostly online, with a few weekend meetings and a summer intensive on site. But, here's the rub (something for you to be aware of too) – I was informed that the Masters I did at Full Sail University (EBMS – Entertainment Business Masters of Science), wasn't recognized by UNCo because Full Sail is not a "regionally accredited" university. What?! I still did the work to earn a Masters! I then inquired if there were any other "options" (I didn't want to ask for an "exception") or an appeals process. I had several people going to bat for me, including the professor I wanted to work with, but to no avail. The university said, nope, that's our policy and we're sticking our heads in the sand(!). There were some programs that were a combined Masters/PhD, but only in Educational Psychology. The Theatre department at UNCo has no PhD programs at all. (They do have an online Theatre Educator Masters for anyone who is interested.) I was told that I could get a second Masters first, but that I would have to apply for that separately and complete it before I could then re-apply for the PhD – with no guarantee. But I'm not in a position to get a second Masters. I never heard from CU Boulder that my Masters didn't count, and I can't find anything about that on their website under requirements. So, there is one more chance, I might apply to the Education department this time, but the application is not online yet, the deadline is not until December 1, you won't find out until spring 2019, and the program doesn't start until Fall 2019.

If you have a Masters degree from a regionally accredited university (and some spare airmiles), then the hybird EdD at UNCo would be worth looking into

One thing to consider about getting a PhD is costs. A 'brick and mortar' program, will generally waive your tuition and provide funding for your living expenses – for which you have to TA, teach a class, etc. (If you already have a Masters, you can teach your own class, but not if you only have a Bachelors, then you have to TA.) It's a win-win situation – you get a free education and the university gets cheap labor. But, when you do a PhD program online (or a hybrid), while it's generally cheaper, there's no way for you to 'earn' your tuition or living expenses because you're not on site and able to teach classes, etc. While I get the impression that online PdD programs are able to accept many more students than brick and mortar PhD programs, they're a lot more out of pocket because you can't earn your way. James said "get funding!". Can you elaborate on that (other than student loans) - what sort of funding is available if you are doing a degree online? (The other option is to buy a 'quickie degree' at the International University and get a trip to the Bahamas at the same time! JK!)

Another point, which some people mentioned, is - because we are in "educational theatre" -  be willing to consider applying for a doctorate in the Theatre department and the Education department. I also recommend the Business/Management department (if you are a High School Theatre Manager). (Not that I've tried that route myself - yet.)

I too would be interested to find out any PhD or EdD programs that will give you credit for your life experiences (short of buying your PhD at Express University!  Again - JK!). I suspect there are some, but again, I suspect they are on the more spendy side, and may not be 'ethical'.

I guess the future Dr. Beth is not to be….

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Spring Session closed. Summer session starts June 4th.

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.)

Author of "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and several more books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 20.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-15-2018 11:20
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback. You're convincing me an Ed.D. might be more in line with my goals. I have a Masters from FSU's summer program for Theatre Educators, if anyone would like information about that.

Taylor Horne
    Jacksonville FL

• 21.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-15-2018 10:40
    The route I took to my PhD (because I could not move to another state and distance learning had not even been invented yet!) was to earn it in Education--Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Maryland.

This worked for me because in every course possible, I geared my projects and research so that their focus was on the educational uses of drama and theatre. (There were only a couple of courses in which this did not work--most specifically the required statistics courses.)

And my dissertation, of course, was research in my field of educational drama.

Most universities will allow students to transfer in up to 6 credits from another university, so I took a week-long summer course with an expert in the field of educational drama (Brian Edmiston) at Northwestern University and transferred the credits in to my PhD program.

Nowadays, I believe that students could use one or two of the graduate online courses like the Drama in Education courses that we offer at Catholic University within an Education PhD programs to sharpen the focus of their coursework. This generally requires applying to the other university as a non-degree or advanced special student to enroll in courses.

For the record--My PhD in Education has served me well and over the years, very few people have even taken note of the fact that it is technically in Curriculum & Instruction, not Educational Theatre!

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer

• 22.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-15-2018 13:25
    Sounds like a creative university could make some money developing an online/distance program that gives credit for past experience.
    I'd be interested.
    Bill

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 23.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-16-2018 10:22
    Yes, perhaps if each one of us who has Alum ties with distinguished universities reach out, perhaps the wheels of academia could begin the process to create a PhD which has an online component, gives credit for classroom experiences, allows for onsite coursework which could be accomplished with a limited on-sight presence, is creative with the thesis as a project, and grants and a PhD in Theatre Education. I believe that we could identify several EdTA members who will enroll.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 24.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-16-2018 13:25
    I did my Ph.D. at Capella University in P-12 Teaching and Learning (all online).  Since the program focuses on teaching, I was able to tailor everything to educational drama.  My dissertation was on Process Drama.  It's not specifically what you want, but it works the same. 

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and confidential information and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named herein. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Although this e-mail and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by Scottsbluff Public Schools or the author hereof in any way from its use. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by return e-mail and destroy it immediately. Thank you.

• 25.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-17-2018 12:40
    A question for those of you with MFAs.  As a terminal degree, do you then use the title of "Dr." with your name?  

For those "Dr."s out there - have you found any benefits of having the title?

Thanks for any input on the value - or lack of? - of having this moniker.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer

Next HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session starts June 4th. Fall session starts Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.) http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

Author of "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 26.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-20-2018 13:36
    Re: 

For those "Dr."s out there - have you found any benefits of having the title?

YES! Most definitely YES!
    The title of "Dr." has repeatedly earned me almost immediate respect and has "opened doors" for me that may not have been so readily opened...

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer

• 27.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-21-2018 23:16
    Yes, I truly believe a Ph.D is respected in education. 
    I am also responding to another strand which asks what might be involved in credit for educational/professional experience which migh be a part of the Ph.D for those who have years in the field.
    I think a thesis type document containing Effective Practices which the educator (student) has developed, along with a reflective strand on how in the future the Effective Practices might develop; a document detailing Innovations which the educator originated and developed; sources of inspiration for both of the documents mentioned above; also a log detailing the years in educational theatre/professional theatre. 
    I can see requiring Summer in residence for perhaps a two week period onsite for the institution offering the Ph.D, plus online manageble work during the academic year. 

Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com

• 28.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-17-2018 13:22
      |   view attached

Great idea Gai! I took a few minutes and copied our conversation onto a Word doc (attached). I took out any identifying information (pretty sure!), however I left the states (I hope I got your state correct). I thought that the "wheel of academia" might like to know that there is interest all over the country (so far we have people from 14 states in the conversation!).

In any case, I left it in Word so you can adapt the doc as you feel suitable if you decide to reach out to your alma mater (or other university?) as Gai suggests – or otherwise make any desired adaptions or corrections?

Please report back if you have any success!

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer

Next HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session starts June 4th. Fall session starts Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.) http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

Author of "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

Attachment(s)

• 29.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-18-2018 11:00
    Oops.  I wasn't able to open my own attachment!  Just in case you can't either, I'll just put it here (I added a couple of things at the top too), and then you can copy and paste into your own document.  Here you go....

THEATRE EDUCATION PhD/EdD INTEREST

• SUMMER ONLY OR OTHER LIMITED ON SITE COURSE WORK – IF AT ALL
    • COURSEWORK LOAD/TIMEFRAME SUITABLE FOR "THE BUSY PROFESSIONAL"
    • CREDIT FOR RELATED CAREER EXPERIENCE
    • ALL MASTERS DEGREES VALUED AND ACCEPTED
    • GRE OR OTHER TESTING NOT REQUIRED FOR APPLICATION
    • OPTION OF RESEARCH-BASED OR PROJECT-BASED THESIS
    • AFFORDABLE TUITION. HOWEVER GRANTS OR OTHER FUNDING AVAILABLE – NOT LOANS

FLORIDA
    Does anyone know of or have experience with Ph.D. programs in Theatre Education? Bonus points for distance learning being possible. Thank you!

LOUISIANA
    Following! I've always wondered the same thing! Most internet searches aren't very fruitful!

NORTH CAROLINA
    I'm doing an MA in theatre at Regent University. They may have a PhD.

CALIFORNIA
    Following this conversation. Would also like one that gives credit for years and experience in the Theatre classroom.

LOUISIANA
    Definitely interested in this too! I've been itching to go back to school. I have an MFA already, so a PhD seems the natural next step.

MISSISSIPPI
    K J-S, what is your MFA in? 
    I've been told that an MFA is a terminal degree and therefore, as far as our state is concerned, MFA acts like a PhD.

MASSACHUSETTS
    I don't know specifically about the distance learning at University of Birmingham, but I have friends/colleagues who did their teacher training (Theatre) there.  It has an excellent reputation for Theatre Education.

LOUISIANA
    J, My MFA is in Theater Management. It is indeed a terminal degree. I really love learning in a structured environment with like-minded individuals, and the university setting. I've just been itching to be back in school lately, and want to learn as much as I can about different opportunities.

MASSACHUSETTS
    The University of Birmingham in the UK offers distance learning. I completed my MA in Performing Arts Ed at LIPA, and I really love the approach to process and theory. The cost is comparable to any other PhD program. I've put links below to Birmingham, NYU and a general 'PhD Theatre programs in the US'. Good luck!
    Drama and Theatre Studies PhD (On-Campus or By Distance Learning), Ph.D. - Online by University of Birmingham, United Kingdom - PhDportal.com
    A more traditional approach (on campus):
    PhD in Educational Theatre in Colleges and Communities - Educational Theatre - NYU Steinhardt
    Doctoral Program Directory - American Society For Theatre Research (ASTR)

CALIFORNIA
    I've been looking for a program, too! I thought I remembered one of the university reps at an EdTA conference - maybe two years ago? - say that they were considering working on a distance PhD....but I can't remember which one!

ILLINOIS
    There are a number of programs with varied requirements. The American Society for Theatre Research has a Doctoral Program Directory with links to universities around the world. Their site is astr.org.

VIRGINIA
    I know while I was competing my MA through University of Houston's Summer MA program there was some mention of them developing a similar Summer/ Distance Learning based PhD. But I doubt that will be anytime soon.

FLORIDA
    V, I see you graduated from Virginia Commonwealth. I looked into their Ph.D. in Theatre Pedagogy at one point. But, it wasn't the best timing. I wish they would do something online. Thanks for the info!

NEW JERSEY
    I completed my Ph.D. in Educational Theatre at NYU this past fall. I do not know if the program has a set "distance learning" option, but members of my cohort lived out West; one was from Korea. Dr. David Montomgery is the program director (dm635@nyu.edu).
    You might also look into Arizona State and the University of Texas as other possibilities. I believe programs may exist in Michigan , Florida, and Wisconsin, as well, though I don't know of the specific colleges.
    Good luck! And get funding!

NEW JERSEY
    Depending upon your interest and rationale, you might also explore the Ed.D., which NYU just launched 2 years ago. Project-based rather than research-based. I also believe it takes less of the time. NYU''s is the only one I know of in the field, but there may be others.
    MFA is also a terminal degree, as previously mentioned, however, it is primarily used for teaching technique and artistry in higher ed. Not sure if the wider implications of that degree in the field. Again, it depends upon your interest and needs.

TENNESSEE
    I have an MFA in Theatre for Youth from Arizona State University. While it is a terminal degree, most school systems do not recognize it as anything more than a Masters for pay purposes. It's insulting and infuriating.
    Arizona State also has a PhD in theatre for youth but it is not a distance program. NYU has both a PhD and EdD in Educational Theatre. I believe that NYU is exploring the logistics of the EdD being a program that can be completed long distance.
    I'd be interested to lean of other programs as I'm interested in a doctorate as well.

COLORADO
    Some PhD programs can be found at CU Boulder (brick and mortar) and University of Northern Colorado (hybrid online).  But…
    Last year I applied to the Theatre department at CU Boulder for a PhD. I didn't get in and was told I was a "strong candidate" but they could only take two people. Then this year I applied to the Education department at UNCo for an EdD. This is a "hybrid" program "for busy professionals", which is mostly online, with a few weekend meetings and a summer intensive on site. But, here's the rub (something for you to be aware of too) – I was informed that the Masters I did at Full Sail University (EBMS – Entertainment Business Masters of Science), wasn't recognized by UNCo because Full Sail is not a "regionally accredited" university. What?! I still did the work to earn a Masters! I then inquired if there were any other "options" (I didn't want to ask for an "exception") or an appeals process. I had several people going to bat for me, including the professor I wanted to work with, but to no avail. The university said, nope, that's our policy and we're sticking our heads in the sand(!). There were some programs that were a combined Masters/PhD, but only in Educational Psychology. The Theatre department at UNCo has no PhD programs at all. (They do have an online Theatre Educator Masters for anyone who is interested.) I was told that I could get a second Masters first, but that I would have to apply for that separately and complete it before I could then re-apply for the PhD – with no guarantee. But I'm not in a position to get a second Masters. I never heard from CU Boulder that my Masters didn't count, and I can't find anything about that on their website under requirements. So, there is one more chance, I might apply to the Education department this time, but the application is not online yet, the deadline is not until December 1, you won't find out until spring 2019, and the program doesn't start until Fall 2019.
    If you have a Masters degree from a regionally accredited university (and some spare airmiles), then the hybird EdD at UNCo would be worth looking into
    One thing to consider about getting a PhD is costs. A 'brick and mortar' program, will generally waive your tuition and provide funding for your living expenses – for which you have to TA, teach a class, etc. (If you already have a Masters, you can teach your own class, but not if you only have a Bachelors, then you have to TA.) It's a win-win situation – you get a free education and the university gets cheap labor. But, when you do a PhD program online (or a hybrid), while it's generally cheaper, there's no way for you to 'earn' your tuition or living expenses because you're not on site and able to teach classes, etc. While I get the impression that online PdD programs are able to accept many more students than brick and mortar PhD programs, they're a lot more out of pocket because you can't earn your way. James said "get funding!". Can you elaborate on that (other than student loans) - what sort of funding is available if you are doing a degree online? (The other option is to buy a 'quickie degree' at the International University and get a trip to the Bahamas at the same time! JK!)
    Another point, which some people mentioned, is - because we are in "educational theatre" -  be willing to consider applying for a doctorate in the Theatre department and the Education department. I also recommend the Business/Management dept(if you are a High School Theatre Manager).(Not that I've tried that route myself-yet.)
    I too would be interested to find out any PhD or EdD programs that will give you credit for your life experiences (short of buying your PhD at Express University!  Again - JK!). I suspect there are some, but again, I suspect they are on the more spendy side, and may not be 'ethical'.
    I guess the future Dr. B is not to be….

FLORIDA
    I really appreciate everyone's feedback. You're convincing me an Ed.D. might be more in line with my goals. I have a Masters from FSU's summer program for Theatre Educators, if anyone would like information about that.

WASHINGTON, DC
    The route I took to my PhD (because I could not move to another state and distance learning had not even been invented yet!) was to earn it in Education--Curriculum and Instruction at the University of Maryland.
    This worked for me because in every course possible, I geared my projects and research so that their focus was on the educational uses of drama and theatre. (There were only a couple of courses in which this did not work--most specifically the required statistics courses.)
    And my dissertation, of course, was research in my field of educational drama.
    Most universities will allow students to transfer in up to 6 credits from another university, so I took a week-long summer course with an expert in the field of educational drama (Brian Edmiston) at Northwestern University and transferred the credits in to my PhD program.
    Nowadays, I believe that students could use one or two of the graduate online courses like the Drama in Education courses that we offer at Catholic University within an Education PhD programs to sharpen the focus of their coursework. This generally requires applying to the other university as a non-degree or advanced special student to enroll in courses.
    For the record--My PhD in Education has served me well and over the years, very few people have even taken note of the fact that it is technically in Curriculum & Instruction, not Educational Theatre!

IOWA
    Sounds like a creative university could make some money developing an online/distance program that gives credit for past experience.
    I'd be interested.

CALIFORNIA
    Yes, perhaps if each one of us who has Alum ties with distinguished universities reach out, perhaps the wheels of academia could begin the process to create a PhD which has an online component, gives credit for classroom experiences, allows for onsite coursework which could be accomplished with a limited on-sight presence, is creative with the thesis as a project, and grants and a PhD in Theatre Education. I believe that we could identify several EdTA members who will enroll. 

NEBRASKA
    I did my Ph.D. at Capella University in P-12 Teaching and Learning (all online).  Since the program focuses on teaching, I was able to tailor everything to educational drama.  My dissertation was on Process Drama.  It's not specifically what you want, but it works the same. 

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 30.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-19-2018 09:11
    You can add Missouri to this list as well. I would love to have the opportunity to receive a Ph.D in a theatre oriented field. I already have an MA in Arts Administration and would be grateful for the opportunity to continue on to the next step in education without having to put the rest of my life on hold to do so.

Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 31.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-19-2018 17:07
    Hi all,
    I am currently in talks with my university, the University of Northern Colorado, about creating such a program (the goal is an online PhD in Theatre Education with a 2-3 week summer component.) They are showing a lot of interest, yet with the recent turnover in our upper administration, things came to a temporary halt. We will have a new President next year, and a new Provost soon to follow, so I will begin pounding on doors as soon as possible!  
    Mary

Mary Schuttler
    Head of Theatre Education
    University of Northern Colorado
    Greeley CO

• 32.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-21-2018 00:11
    That is great news, Mary! Thank you!

Taylor Horne
    Jacksonville FL

• 33.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-13-2020 14:48
    Hi All!

I found this thread and was wondering if there were any updates? With our current situation I am looking for online opportunities to further my education, a Phd with an online component would be the exact thing. I currently have a MS Ed in Educational Theatre from CCNY (highly recommend!)

Any news?

Elizabeth Simmons

• 34.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2020 10:44
    I'm also interested in whether or not any movement on this has happened!

Colleen Lentz
    Speech and Drama Teacher/Director
    Cudahy WI

• 35.  RE: Ph.D. Theatre Education

Posted 04-14-2020 11:43
    I do not have any updates on this topic. I have not discovered any distance learning programs for a  PhD in Theatre. Rosalind Flynn with Catholic University, Dr. Mary Schuttler at UNC and JERF recently retired professor at Wake Forest might be valuable advocates for those of us who would like such programs. I would like a PhD in Theatre Ed which gives some credits for programs and best practices that we created during our years in the Theatre classroom and rehearsal hall. 

Perhaps in these times, higher ed can look at developing programs which serve the needs of hard working Theatre educators who could do courses in the summers then supplement more learning, online. 
    Let me know when you discover any positive information about this topic. 

Gai Laing Jones
    President of Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), National Board Member of Educational Theatre Foundation (ETF), CETA Executive Board, DTASC Advocacy Director
    805 640  6472
     RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com 
     BREAK A LEG,  A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com  
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES:  ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon 
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator
    www.gaijones.com