Open Forum

View Only

Wednesday’s Wisdom from EdTA Emeritus Sages

• 1.  Wednesday’s Wisdom from EdTA Emeritus Sages

Posted 10-03-2023 16:01

Your fall production Playbill or program is probably near the bottom of your to do list. But, the time is coming when you will be thinking about, maybe creating (if you haven’t delegated this to a student, which I would highly recommend!), and/or proofreading the program or Playbill for your fall production.

Here are some suggestions on what to include besides the obvious:

A short but detailed description of the International Thespian Society, how students earn membership and honor and scholar status, and that it is a respected secondary school HONORARY society.

Some sort of indication after each student’s name if they are a Thespian, Honor Thespian, etc.

Future events, productions, fund raisers, and the like.

An invitation to join the Theatre Parents group, or if you don’t have one in place, how to contact you (or someone else) if they would like to help in some way.  I had parents in charge of the shows’ intermission hospitality; being “safety adults” backstage and in our Green Room, as I couldn’t be everywhere; chaperoning trips; catering cast and crew dinners during tech week, and so much more. If you can find a “go getter” parent & supply them with contact info for other parents, they can be in charge!

For the spring production, include a paragraph on the state Thespian festival, activities, and awards won.

Director’s notes are something I tried to avoid writing - “Give that space to the students,” I would say,  but it’s important to share your thoughts about the show, personal achievements, future theatrical plans, etc.

Some (black and white are fine) photographs and/or headshots. If your school has a photography class, see if the teacher can help advanced students take the photos!

I found all of this good info and PR to be SO worth the extra cost of another page to print!

Sending positivity to everyone for a fantastic school year!

------------------------------
    Jacquie Thompson-Mercer
    Retired, Bakersfield High School
    California Educational Theatre Association
    Emeritus Member, California Thespian Board
    Bakersfield, CA
    ------------------------------