Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Reading selection sought

Posted 05-08-2022 08:44
    Good day!
    At the end of the year, I have my students read a script that we then discuss from many production aspects as a final activity for the class. I usually turn to classics and scripts my students may not pick up to read otherwise. I’m looking for suggestions for a script that is either a comedy or upbeat or uplifting and that has something we can chew on. Preferably not a period or historic piece. Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Holly

• 2.  RE: Reading selection sought

Posted 05-09-2022 07:56
    I and You by Lauren Gunderson is fantastic. My Acting class was so into reading the play and then we explored scene work. A highlight of the school year. It might not be labeled a comedy, but certainly many comedic moments in the play. An incredibly profound and moving play that will have the class talking at length. Study guides are available through various professional companies, and provide great resource materials.

------------------------------
    Kent Burnham
    Director of Theatre Arts
    The Frederick Gunn School
    Washington, Connecticut

• 3.  RE: Reading selection sought

Posted 05-10-2022 04:19
    I concur with I AND YOU. Such an amazing script. Lauren Gunderson (playwright) is also incredibly receptive if you have any questions for her, want to schedule a Zoom Q&A with her, etc.

• 4.  RE: Reading selection sought

Posted 05-09-2022 08:36
    Funny and uplifting can be a challenge (so much for high school is dark and "meaningful").  But here are some suggestions that have been successful for me:
    1) The libretto for any musical comedy (I'm hoping to use "Come From Away" next year). I often use the libretto of "42nd Street" and the kids have a lot of fun examining it as a Jukebox Musical and studying the dramatic structure of the show.  

2) Proof (not the most fun, but it has a positive message)

3) Art (take out the language)

4) Odd Couple

5) Brighton Beach Memoirs

6) The Dining Room (some scenes are very funny, others are very moving and some have very graphic language ... be careful)

7) All in theTiming

There are others, but these are the ones I've used most often.  I use these primarily with my 2nd-4th year students (Sophomores - Seniors).  With my freshmen, I use more classic scripts like Our Town, Crucible, and Streetcar.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 5.  RE: Reading selection sought

Posted 05-09-2022 09:01
    We just finished Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon by Don Zolidis--Hilarious!

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Passaic County Technical Institute
    NJ

• 6.  RE: Reading selection sought

Posted 05-09-2022 10:20
    Almost, Maine was a hit with my Advanced Theatre students this year. Their discussions around set, casting options, changes Cariani has made to the script over the years, etc. made for an even better unit than expected. We then also performed scenes just for fun which was an added bonus after the entire class read together.

Suzanne Maguire
    Associate Director,
    Lewis & Clark Tiger Drama
    WA State Thespian Board
    Spokane, WA

• 7.  RE: Reading selection sought

Posted 05-10-2022 09:51
    The Curious Savage is a great piece. It's very funny and very moving. I loved working on it with my seniors because it's about finding family in unlikely places. The main character spends the whole play trying to leave but when she finally does, she finds it difficult to leave the people she's grown to love. SO much for the seniors to relate to- it's a beautiful play with some quirky, wonderful characters.

Summer Rickman
    Hobbs High School
    NM