Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Registering Students

Posted 05-05-2022 14:41
    I remember during pre-covid days there was a push to have students register themselves with ITS. You know, that is where they put in their name, email address, date of birth, current grade level, expected graduation.  Then I pick from that list when it is time to confirm (and pay) for them to become Thespians. Now I cannot find that function. Can anyone help?

------------------------------
    Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearns.org

• 2.  RE: Registering Students

Posted 05-05-2022 15:22
    Mark,

Your timing of this question is impeccable! Please see my post from yesterday by clicking here. The best thing for you to do is to download the Import Student Roster template, have the students put their information in that .csv file, then upload the file to add the students to your troupe's roster. They will then be available for you to induct as soon as you are ready to do so. Badda-bing, badda-boom!

If you have any more questions or need additional support, please email us at MEMBERS@schooltheatre.org.

Have a great day!

Hans Weichhart
    Chief Membership Officer
    Educational Theatre Association

• 3.  RE: Registering Students

Posted 05-06-2022 08:02
    One way that a teacher could have students enter the data to create a csv file would be to set up a Google form.

If you use Google docs but don't know how to use forms, I suggest trying it out. Google's guidance and various videos allow it to be something you can teach yourself to use.

Google forms responses easily output to a spreadsheet, and that sheet can be converted to a csv.

Nathan Rosen
    Theatre Arts teacher/director
    Atholton High School
    6520 Freetown Road
    Columbia MD 21044

Best of Howard 2021 in Performing Arts, Honorable Mention

http://www.atholtondrama.org
    "Wherever you go, there you are."

• 4.  RE: Registering Students

Posted 05-06-2022 11:25
    Nathan,

Thank you for this excellent suggestion! We use Google Forms all the time and this is a great use case for them. Please just make sure that before you upload, that you match the header names EXACTLY as they are on the template.

Have a great Friday and weekend ahead!

Hans Weichhart
    Chief Membership Officer

• 5.  RE: Registering Students

Posted 05-06-2022 11:18
    Why make it so difficult and time-consuming?

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Passaic County Technical Institute
    NJ

• 6.  RE: Registering Students

Posted 05-06-2022 14:55
    Lynn,

We all wish there was a "magic wand" solution that would make it possible to induct students with the snap of a finger. To that end, we've reviewed many membership management systems, and we have yet to encounter any that can get around the fact that each induction involves creating a new database record for each individual student. Think about the time it takes to create an account on any website. Multiplying that by 10, 20, 30+ students is inherently time consuming.

That's why we made the uploadable induction roster a feature of the current system (something that wasn't possible with our old system). This at least provides the teacher the option to fill out the information in one place and upload once, rather than manually creating each record one at a time. It does take the system longer to process those entries, but that is not time the teacher has to spend entering data. Our hope is that eventually we create a culture where teachers upload all of their students (regardless of whether they will be inducted in the future) at the beginning of the year so that their accounts are ready when (and if) it's time for them to be inducted.

As always, we welcome suggestions on improving the process from the teacher point of view. If you have concrete ideas to share, please feel free to reach out to me directly. I did notice that you inducted two students recently. If you have specific feedback from that transaction, please email me at hweichhart@schooltheatre.org.

Thank you for shaping lives through theatre education and honoring your students achievements in theatre with induction into the International Thespian Society!

Hans Weichhart
    Chief Membership Officer