Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Shrek - Simple Set Design

Posted 05-09-2022 13:28
    Hi wonderful people!  Old teacher, newbie theatre teacher here!  I am one for jumping in feet first.  I have always wanted to produce Shrek.  (It's a childhood favorite.) Probably will stay with the Jr. Version since there's a lot of roles.  I have access to costumes, but I have very limited to NONE experience with set design.  We have an auditorium setting - the stage is very wide!  Does anyone have drawings, ideas, etc. from Shrek that are "simple"?  (I do understand simple is a tricky word with this one.)  Thank you! <3

------------------------------
    Tracye Couture
    classroom teacher
    Parkers Chapel High School
    AR

• 2.  RE: Shrek - Simple Set Design

Posted 05-10-2022 09:55
    If you can make it work in your theatre, you should look into projections. I've used them and it was so easy- they basically email them to you and then you just project all the different locations on a screen in the back of the theatre- they even have some that are animated. Another option is drops, there are great companies out there where you can rent backdrops for each scene and hang them like curtains- fly them in and out. Easy ways to create beautiful sets! 
    Try: 
    https://backdropsbeautiful.com/
    or
    https://www.broadwaymedia.com/products/scenic-projections

Summer Rickman
    Hobbs High School
    NM

• 3.  RE: Shrek - Simple Set Design

Posted 05-10-2022 10:15
    I just finished Shrek. I used a combination of two-sided flats and projections. My stage is also very wide, but not equally deep, and back stage area is limited. I had five 8'x8' rolling flats that were painted on both sides (i.e. Duloc on one side and dragon's keep on the other, Farquaad's dungeon and Fiona's chamber) These rolled in when needed and I limited lighting to the flat area. Using a scrim at the back of the stage and rear projection, I projected everything else. My projections were from pictures I have taken and stock photos (royalty free) found on line.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy High School
    Tracy, CA

Ellen Di Filippo

• 4.  RE: Shrek - Simple Set Design

Posted 05-10-2022 13:21

Hi Tracye,

Welcome to the world of theatre 🎭 ! I'm the Community Manager for Broadway Media by day, but in my spare time I'm a children's theatre director with my local community theatre. Shrek is definitely an ambitious piece, but there are ways to make it "simpler" without sacrificing quality.

As a new theatre teacher, I cannot recommend using the Junior version enough; the script may be abridged, but all of the key moments will be there. One of my favorite things about the Junior versions are the resources you receive from MTI, specifically the Director's Guide! The guide is packed with tips and tricks that even a seasoned director can benefit from, things like themed activities that help your performers build character to detailed instructions on how to accomplish special effects! 

Regardless of whether you go Regular or Junior, there are a number of key settings; places like the swamp, the dungeon, Fiona's tower, Duloc. . .the list goes on. If you have the means to project, I'd recommend taking a look at the Scenic Projection packages from Broadway Media. Instead of having to get painted scenery and set pieces to depict every setting, you'll have every location mentioned in the script at the click of the button, including special effects! 

Here are a few examples from recent school productions:

For more information, check out https://www.broadwaymedia.com/category/shrek-the-musical-jr , and feel free to send me a message here if you have any questions. Break a leg with your first production and cherish every moment! 

Melissa Kratish
    Broadway Media
    CA

• 5.  RE: Shrek - Simple Set Design

Posted 05-10-2022 14:13
    Hello, 

I used Grosh.com for my backdrops when I produced Alice@Wonderland and Oz! They have Shrek Jr. Backdrops as well at reasonable prices and they ship them fast. It's very easy to deal with them. Can you tell me where you got your costumes? I am hoping to produce Shrek Jr as well next year and I am starting to work on casting, but costumes can be expensive. Duloc people especially!

Karina Raimont
    Pembroke Pines Charter Middle School West
    Pembroke Pines FL