Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Little women?

Posted 04-29-2022 00:27
    I am considering Little Women for my high school and junior high aged program. Does anyone have experience with this show and if so is it fairly well suited for high schoolers? Is there much dancing? A lot of harmonization? Any serious challenges to the show? Thanks for any advice you can give --
    Lisa Singleterry
    Portland Christian Schools
    Elementary Music & Band Teacher
    High School Drama Director
    Masters of Arts in Teaching

• 2.  RE: Little women?

Posted 04-30-2022 11:20
    I am also strongly considering Little Women, the Musical for next fall. I eagerly look forward to any shared experiences and insights.
    Mary Mitchell-Donahue 

• 3.  RE: Little women?

Posted 05-01-2022 11:38
    I was blessed to have a guest director, Jana Robbins, to direct Little Women for School in Kansas. As she was one of the original producers on Broadway, her passion, insight, and genuine love for the story was so powerful for our students. While the musicality is important, her focus on the story telling impacted the performance beyond any of my expectations. The students loved it. They learned so much.

I loved it as well. It was so spectacular.

Break many legs.

Jenn

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Little women?

Posted 05-01-2022 03:51

I did the show nearly a decade ago and it was a lot of fun and very well received. The music is beautiful and not at all too much for high schoolers. There's dance required but not large group numbers. Very few male roles. No chorus, so not a great show if you want to get a lot of kids on stage. 

The greatest challenges were converting the set to and from the fantasy scenes that appear from Jo's writing and getting the kite to fly. 

I highly recommend the show. 

------------------------------
    Brian Marshall
    Henry M. Jackson High School
    WA

• 5.  RE: Little women?

Posted 05-02-2022 07:33
    LITTLE WOMEN is a wonderful show, but it has a rather small cast.  There's very little need for any kind of ensemble.  Dancing requirements are moderate.  Musically, it's a powerful show.  Not terribly difficult harmonically, but challenging enough.  If your kids have a good handle on music, I think they will be fine.

Keith Rollins
    Director
    Murray County High School
    GA