Open Forum

View Only

WEDNESDAY'S WISDOM FROM EdTA EMERITUS

• 1.  WEDNESDAY'S WISDOM FROM EdTA EMERITUS

Posted 05-04-2022 15:09
    Let's talk programs - no, not YOUR program, the classes you teach or the plays you produce, but the programs you hand out to your patrons.  Eons ago, at an ITS workshop in Muncie (I DID say "eons ago!"), the presenter stated that the programs are historical documents.  I had never thought about it like that, but he was correct.  As I look through the programs I saved from my 35 years of teaching, I wish I had known this earlier.

Of course, as you build you program, I assume that you automatically include the name of the play, the playwright and the publishing agency. Make sure that your show dates also include the year.  If you have a company name ie "Kachina Players," that should go above the title as the presenter.  

Let me digress for a few minutes here.  Having a company name is also a good idea; it's a form of branding that can garner instant recognition and publicity.  Consider using your school mascot ie "Mariner Theatre Company" or something like "King Neptune's Troupe" that would appeal to local residents as well as alumni.  Another good idea from the workshop was to plan your season with a theme. Then, at the start of the year, not only announce your theme, but the shows and how they relate.  Put the theme, along with your season in every program. If you sell ads for your programs, having a season is another perk.  You can tailor your ad flier to offer your clients multiple ads for a reduced price.  Just make sure your salespeople give a program to every one who purchased an ad along with a thank you.  (While I listed all shows in our season, we did not sell ads for one night events.)

Back to the program.  If it is not already required, list your school's administration as well as the district administration; make sure everyone listed get a copy of the program.  Always acknowledge any help you receive from parents, alumni and other teachers.  Recognize your Thespians with a star; we recognized our Honor Thespians with two and our initiates with a plus sign.  Somewhere in the program, state what these symbols stand for; I also included a bit that a star signified 100 hours of excellent work in the department. ITS also has some excellent blurbs about the lifelong skills your students are learning.  If you have room, devote an entire page to it.

Back in the olden days, my programs were a one page affair run off on a ditto or mimeograph machine.  The advent of the copier was a game changer!  If you are in a large district, then you probably have a print shop.   Because of the transient nature of my school, most of the time my cast wasn't finalized until first dress.  A print shop needs more time than that, so they delivered the folded cover and I ran off the insides during my prep or after school.  The house crew folded and stapled the program together with a long arm-stapler.

I realize that some of you purchase Playbill programs, so everything may not apply; however, the insides are still up to you.  If you haven't opened you last show, I hope my suggestions were helpful!!

Marilynn S. Zeljeznjak 
    "Life is Brief - Art is Eternal"