Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  iPad Shopping

Posted 12-30-2018 13:50
    Hi all!

I'm shopping for an iPad to use for my blocking and technical/design work for my classroom and productions. I want an iPad Pro so I can do costume and scenic renderings using an Apple Pencil. Do any of you use this technology? What size would you suggest? This is a personal purchase so I definitely want to get something that will work for me for quite some time. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Kalyssa

------------------------------
    Kalyssa Brockman
    Kansas City, MO

• 2.  RE: iPad Shopping

Posted 12-31-2018 03:52
    I have the older iPad Pro (9.7 in) and an Apple Pencil for the reasons you are considering buying one.  This is essentially the standard iPad and a first generation pencil.  The larger size is about the same as a regular piece of paper, the smaller size offers a little more "bang for the buck".  I chose the smaller size for primarily for portability.

It takes some time to get used to the different feel from pencil sketching, but the space and weight savings during my commuting has been its own reward.  The updated features on the new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 2 look are interesting and could prove even more valuable that what I have been using.  But the it will be a couple of years (and therefore a few more updates) before the iPad is due for update.

I do all my design work on Apple products, either in Qlab, Vectorworks on my laptop, or a number of programs on my iPad including Acrobat Reader, Pages, Paper, Go Button, and others.  The interoperability and longevity of the systems has been worthwhile.  Between my spouse and I, we can stagger the replacement of three laptops, two tablets, two phones, and a watch over the course of about seven years.

Jym Kinney
    Tacoma, Washington

• 3.  RE: iPad Shopping

Posted 12-31-2018 10:15
    Hello!

I too decided I needed to upgrade my use of technology when it came to my costume and set sketches, so I ran out and bought an iPad with pencil too! My advice, really consider this purchase first. I am not 100% sure I really needed the upgrade. I love the idea of digital renderings, but to be honest with myself, I just spent a lot of money on my sketch pad/pencil upgrade. (Now since it was a personal purchase, I do use my iPad all the time but at home...sadly over Christmas break my use was up like 300% between Christmas shopping, Pinterest costume searches, and eBay costume searching, but as for the pencil....it is not charged, nor has been used since the summer). 

First off, please know you do not have to use the iPad Pro with the pencil, the original pencil is also compatible with the iPad 6th generation, HUGE price difference, for a very slightly smaller screen. They do not advertise this much, and of course they are trying to sell the new shiny pro on the recent commercials. iPad Pro is awesome and has more options for productivity, don't get me wrong, but it is really going to come down to your knowledge and use of the device...it will only be as powerful as you make it. And what I was looking for with sketching, just did not merit my research of the upscaled device. I went with the 6th generation and got more memory, for a much lower price. 

Best option, go into an Apple store and hold up the two side by side. See if the screen difference and other capabilities are really worth your extra dollars. 

Now, for the pluses.

1. I sketched in color for the first time ever. I do all my sketching over the summer, and I am usually traveling. I loved that I was able to actually sketch my costumes in color, using one pen. Now, by the time the costumes reached the stage, many colors changed, but it did give me the chance to pull together my color scheme. Then again, an expensive trade for a pencil pouch and colored pencils, but overall, I don't regret it too much..because....

2. Erasing is also a breeze! Usually I am covered with eraser particles at the end of a sketch, but starting over was so simple using the pencil (I use Adobe Draw app for my sketches and it was pretty easy to learn). I can import my pre sketched “models” as a layer, then the costumes are sketched on as the second layer. I can erase one layer without affecting the others.

3. And finally, I drew multiple sets for the first time.  I directed The 39 Steps in the fall, so scene changes were major.  I loved having the digital renderings for this because I could just duplicate my already drawn sketches, save as new images, and make only the set changes I needed for the different scenes instead of having to draw the complete set again. It was nice being able to show the kids all the scene changes on the projector while we did our first read through.

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 4.  RE: iPad Shopping

Posted 02-27-2019 21:47
    iPad Pro model with Apple pencil will be the best choice. I am a graphic artist who uses them and likes them. My favorite feature of using the iPad is undo, zoom and "straight line" and its portability. The iPad Pro with Apple Pencil gives you a lot of pressure sensitivity options. If you set the pressure sensitivity correctly, you will like it.

Kevin Freud
    Belleville ON