Open Forum

Β View Only
  • 1.  Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-06-2022 19:23

Hello Hivemind!
    I'm in a bit of a pickle. Our theatre is getting some MUCH needed upgrades. I had a season selected for next year but now, the major upgrades will occur during the time of the musical. I can't move the date since we are tied to winter sports (sports participation is required and the musical counts as a sport--which is great!). I'm probably  going to have to do the show in either the multipurpose gym or the cafeteria. This means no tap since I can't cover the floors.   I'm in an all boys school (we bring in girls from other schools) so I need something with a lot of male leads. 

I've done Camelot and Newsies. Prior to my tenure they just did 1776, Pippin and Joseph (so those are out). I was PLANNING on Something Rotten. I need something that will get boys excited and has limited sets and costumes since I'll probably have to strike them every night (Spelling Bee is also off the table since one of our "sister schools" is doing it).  I was ALSO asked to do a comedy coming out of COVID. I thought of La Mancha (which yes I know isn't really a comedy)  Does anyone have any other ideas? I need something for between 20-40 kids. It was suggested I come up with three possible shows and see where construction is in August.

Ideas? 

MANY Thanks!

------------------------------
    Dr. Doug Erwin
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair--St Louis Priory School
    Thespian Troupe 4702

• 2.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-07-2022 09:39
    Doug...look at Godspell or Be More Chill.  If you decide on Be More Chill, I have lots of stuff you can borrow.

Kurt Knoedelseder
    De Smet Jesuit High School
    MO

• 3.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-08-2022 10:21
    Have you thought about Damn Yankees? I taught at an all male school and the guys loved that one. Guys and Dolls and Best Little Whorehouse in Texas are also really fun if you have the men!

Frieda Gebert
    Drama and Speech
    Boyle County Schools (Retired)
    Danville, KY

• 4.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-09-2022 05:52
    I would suggest looking at the recent revival production of Oklahoma! for inspiration:

• 5.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-08-2022 08:22
    Oliver?

Susan Rhoden
    Senior Project Coordinator
    Sr. English Teacher
    ITS Troupe 6616 Sponsor
    Edgewood Jr/Sr High School

• 6.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-09-2022 07:55
    Last year, we did our musical outside on the football field - so no place to do costume changes, no real bathrooms, and minimal sets that we needed to break up and put in the concession stand every night. We did Seussical - Theatre for a Young Audience. It's a 75 minute, one act version of the show, but it still had full orchestration, which was important to us as we always have a large, all-student orchestra. (And being only one act, we didn't have to worry so much about there only being port-a-potties on the football field.) We put up the staging we use for graduation and set up stand mics on the track. Each cast member had a chair for "off stage" with a plastic bin underneath with everything they needed for the show. It wound up being very successful, and the kids had so much fun with it.

Kimberly Richardson
    English Teacher
    Freehold Township High School
    NJ

• 7.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-09-2022 09:48
    LUCKY STIFF is hilarious, has some casting flexibility, and can be doing with a minimal/suggested set. Tell the boys it's like WEEKEND AT BERNIE's. πŸ™‚ I also think you could do URINETOWN under your current circumstances. The year I had a lot of guys I wanted to do SPAMALOT, but it wasn't available. We went with KISS ME, KATE, which could also work for you.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Shenandoah Valley Governor's School
    VA

• 8.  RE: Need Musical ideas in alternative spaces

Posted 05-09-2022 14:20
    Peter and the Starcatcher could be good- suggest set, mostly guys, technical not a musical but has songs, great mermaid scene for guys!

Elizabeth Milne
    Tabb High School
    VA