Open Forum

View Only

Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

• 1.  Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-01-2015 20:31

We will be producing  Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses in the fall of 2015.  If you have constructed a pool for the production and have advice in regards to that process, heating and sterilizing the water, etc. that information will be every helpful.  The production will be black box staging with a pool of approximately 7 ' by 11' and a deck which is approximately 3 'wide.  Thanks so much.

------------------------------
    Kathleen Woods

Palo Alto High School
    Troupe 909

• 2.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 07:19

Are you making it more high school appropriate?

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-03-2015 10:39

A note about costumes for Metamorphoses:  We built various lengths of chitons, then added shirts, himations, shawls, and other drapey pieces, using lightweight trim to add visual interest without adding weight or risking running colors.  For fabric, we used Cloud 9 jacquard (available at most chain fabric stores), which is colorfast, very quick-drying, and has a textured surface off which stage lighting plays beautifully.  Under the chitons, for modesty's sake, the actors wore black ballet leotards, preserving modesty (and, also, drying quickly).  Most of the pieces from the show are still used in school productions.

Good luck!

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 4.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 08:28

We produced the show 6 years ago. You'll enjoy it it is a great production. I will attach a few pictures. We build a shallow pool at the upstage end and a deeper pool on the downstage end. Use a pool liner. Checked with engineers that the stage would "hold" the extra weight of the water, and put the audience a fair distance back so they wouldn't get wet during the rape section and battle section. Plus I highly recommend renting and using the Will Schwarz music that was written for the production. It is hauntingly beautiful. I've just "friended" you on FB and put my pictures of the show, a few anyway, on my page to help you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

Max Brown
    Director of Theatre/Department Chair
    Blue Valley Schools USD#229

Blue Valley North HS
    Overland Park, Kansas 66209

• 5.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 12-22-2023 04:39

Hey Max. Would you mind sharing some picture of how you designed the pool?

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 08:30

Hi Kathleen. We did Metamorphoses about 10 years ago, in a 3/4 round configuration, and decided against using the pool. We used water imagery throughout- lighting, a large ornamental bowl of water for Narcissus, stuff like that. But our 'dry' version was a highly effective piece of theatre without the headaches of the pool. That really allowed us to focus the production on the actors and the creation of the environment in the space through movement and sound. Good luck!

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 7.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 08:35

I directed a production of the show about 10 years ago, and we built a pool.  The simplest advice is to see if there is someone in your community that builds and/or cleans pools.  We (students and tech director) built the pool but had all sorts of advice and guidance from a local pool business.  They knew we we were a school, had limited resources, etc. and so didn't expect anything other than a big thank you ad in the program.  But they had connections to used equipment, pool paint, etc. - lots of things we wouldn't otherwise have known about.

(I also remember not mentally factoring in wet props, wet costumes, wet everything after every dress rehearsal and performance or how grueling it would be to tear down the pool when the show was over.) Break a leg!

Ann Johnson
    Milwaukee WI

• 8.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 08:42

Hi Ann- We did the production in 2008 with much success.  Our pool was small and not very deep. I think about 8'x8' and maybe a foot deep with only 6 inches of water. We did keep the water chlorinated and drained it with a pump daily to keep it fresh.  We had to add hot water to make it warm enough for actors to step into without cringing.  We also had a 3 or 4 foot wide deck around it. We used trex decking for the deck so it wasn't slippery.  We lined the pool with the thickest pond liner we could find and maybe multiple layers. I would recommend all actors in bare feet at all times and collecting unending amounts of towels from families. You will not believe how little water it takes to get everywhere. The water also affects the lighting in huge ways we did not anticipate. However, the overall effect of the pool is stunning and the show is one of my faves. I will try to find photos. 

Lisa Houston
    Pennington NJ

• 9.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 08:44

We did it in 2006 and built and 1800 gallon pool on stage--besides making sure your stage can hold the weight, make sure your design takes into account the force of the water pushing outwards.  I learned more about heaters, filters, shock treatments (to the water not to the actors :) ) than I ever wanted to know--but all necessary.  I did a lot of research on the original design which Mary used which saved me a lot of headaches--such as chlorine dissolves silk fabric and make sure you use a black pond liner so the pool has a bottomless look, and if you light water from overhead it looks brown.  Email me and I'd be happy to share with you a ton of documents and articles.  You will need a return system for your water as the actors step out onto the deck--something which no one told me is how much water costumes retain.  We overwhelmed our return system initially.  Make sure you have warming booths in your wings for actors to go to when they exit and you'll need indoor/outdoor carpet paths for them to walk on so they don't slip.  It may sound daunting--but it really isn't--and it still to this day is one of our most talked about and beloved shows.  Here are some pics from our production:

http://appletonnorththeatre.com/2006-metamorphoses/

It is such a beautiful work-- theatre at its best and purest.  Your kids will love it as will your audiences!

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 10.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-02-2015 12:31

Luther College in Decorah, IA just produced it this past Spring. You could contact Dr Bobby Vrtis with questions, if you wish.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 11.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-03-2015 08:05

We produced the show a few years back as well. It was awesome.  I agree with the advice about the engineer, the local pool guy and pool liner.  When the pump and heater were installed, we had to be in compliance with the county electrical inspector code for pools. I did not anticipate this. Caused me some problems.

Other lessons we learned:

• Sight lines can be a factor depending on how your house is raked and how tall your pool walls are. Spend some time thinking this through.
    • If you are filling the pool from faucets it can take a LONG TIME (depending on the size of your pool) do the math and plan accordingly
    • You can rent an industrial submergable sump pump from the home depot that uses a fire hose, this made draining the pool much faster (hours instead of days)
    • The deck around the pool gets very slipery as kids get in and out of the pool.  We covered ours with a neutral gray indoor/outdoor carpet that added traction
    • The platforms around our pool got really wet under the carpet.  The plywood was not in great shape when we were done. 
    • We used black swim team suits as the underlayer of our costumes.  This allowed for easy changes back stage and obviously could handle the water and chlorine
    • Make sure to get your light focus just right before you put the pool liner over your pool.  (you don't want want to put a ladder on the liner after it is down)
    • The air in the theatre is much cooler than kids are used to being in when they get out of a pool.  We got cast zip-up hoodies instead of t-shirts for the show.  These were a big hit and were very practical.
    • The show was very popular (and expensive) since you are doing this in the black box consider a longer run to help recoup your costs.

John Whapham
      Cincinnati OH

We will be producing  Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses in the fall of 2015.  If you have constructed a pool for the production and have advice in regards to that process, heating and sterilizing the water, etc. that information will be every helpful.  The production will be black box staging with a pool of approximately 7 ' by 11' and a deck which is approximately 3 'wide.  Thanks so much.

Kathleen Woods

Palo Alto High School
    Troupe 909

• 12.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-04-2015 10:33

Thanks to everyone for the many responses on producing Metamorphoses.  As conversations continued with members of our production team, the reality of CA's ongoing, severe drought and increasing water restrictions came into play.  In the interest of being good citizens as well as good artists, the decision has been made to shift gears and we have applied for the rights to produce Mary Zimmerman's Odyssey rather than Meta.  This is the first time in my long teaching and directing career that I have changed a major production choice, but it seems the right thing to do.  If any of you have produced ODYSSEY and have thoughts on that I would love to hear them.  This is such an amazing forum for sharing.  Thanks again

Kathleen Woods

Palo Alto High School

• 13.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-05-2015 08:41

Mary's ODYSSEY is actually my favorite of all of her shows we've done!  You will have a great experience.  Here is a clip of moments from our production:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KMNu4sZRSc

I'd be happy to share any information with you about the show--just email me.  It's highly theatrical and powerful.  Another one you'd love doing is her ARGONAUTIKA. 

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 14.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-07-2015 07:24

We produced Zimmerman's Odyssey a few years ago.it was grueling but magical. We had a former student, now a professional choreographer, come in to choreograph movement scenes, like all the ships, which we wanted to be individualized. All the actors played multiple roles and parts of the scenery. We ended up needing a grid backstage so that they could remember all their responsibilities, exits, and entrances. We used a cyc, and just a few large flats on either side of the stage to represent all the different places. The kids learned a lot about theatricality, movement, and classic stories. Loved it! 

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 15.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-05-2015 08:48

Forgot to mention when you look at the clip you'll see that the set was a giant raked sandbox which represented all the various locations/islands of his journey.  There was a deck around the outside and splitting the sandbox in two.  So due to your drought--if you can't do water--you can always do sand :)

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 16.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-06-2015 15:53

I think it's a shame that people give up on Metamorphoses because of the pool.  The script provides so many opportunities for a creative cast and director to reinvent the show without needing to construct a pool. I first saw Metamorphoses many years ago at a nearby high school that had built a pool for the show.  I went with a bunch of my students; we knew nothing about the play. We were all really impressed by the production.  But a week later, no one really remembered anything about the show except the pool. I got a copy of the play (in was in manuscript form at the time) and thought that if the material was really that good, it could be produced without the overwhelming conceit of the pool. We did a production the following year, in a 3/4 round setting.  It was one of the most affecting, moving shows that we'd ever done. We followed each performance with a discussion with the audience during which the students explained how we created each scene, through movement and sound, and how we worked through the transitions to unify the stories into one seamless performance. There are tremendous possibilities for ensemble work inherent in the text. I wish that more theatre teachers would take the risk of developing Metamorphoses with their students. 
    Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 17.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-08-2015 20:56

I've done the show here in Nashville. Loved the entire experience. It is urgent that you know how many gallons of water you are using and how much that will weigh. (Water is heavy) You need to figure in the weight of the set or surround, additional props, cast, audience if they are seated around and make absolutely certain this weight can be supported by your stage or flooring. Seek the advice of a building engineer if you have any doubts whatsoever. There are to many stages collapsing lately.

Again, I love, love this show.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 18.  RE: Pool for Production of Metamorphoses

Posted 06-09-2015 08:25

Rather than using one pool, we used three cattle "troughs" that were plastic and bright blue (and 12' in diameter). They were far cheaper ($400 total) and I was able to resell them after the show!  It also allowed me interesting staging as characters moved from pool to pool

Douglas Erwin
    St. Peters MO