Advocacy

View Only

Why I'm going to Arts Advocacy

• 1.  Why I'm going to Arts Advocacy

Posted 03-13-2017 11:54

Advocacy as defined online by dictionary.com is “the act of pleading for, supporting, or recommending; active espousal.” The action of pleading presents a negative image as if one should be pleading for something as important as the arts in our lives.  However, in today’s climate it may require a level of pleading, not for the arts, but for the lives of people affected by a world without art.

The arts and theatre in particular has had a profound impact on my life. I would not be the man that I am without theatre. The foundation of my most memorable life experiences is theatre and the arts.  Although I did not participate in theatre in high school, I have pursued theatre professionally my entire adult life.  The prevalence of theatre was an afterthought in my high school district and the survival of my teenage years sadly, did not include theatre as a viable option.  Once I left the constraints of high school I felt the freedom to exploit my passion and pursue theatre as a career.  This pursuit took me to New York City to train and work for 10 years followed by another 14 years in Los Angeles where I was a founding member of a non-profit theatre company. 

These life experiences turned out to be the perfect preparation for the next chapter when I moved back to Michigan. I was afforded the tremendous opportunity to build a performing arts acting program from scratch.  Over these last 9 years, I have been witness to jurisdictional artistic turf wars within my school district.  Recognizing the value of all the arts and the interconnectedness between theatre, music, band, graphic and other artistic disciplines, I have been flummoxed by this occasional acrimony.  Unfortunately, we are witnessing this same acrimony in the current political climate.  Having always been involved in politics, I believe this is the logical step for me to become not just a personal advocate for theatre and the arts, but a member of a team of artists to advocate for the importance of the arts and arts education.

My reasons to seek this opportunity to attend Arts Advocacy Day are varied. Networking with other arts educators and supporters throughout the country is an invaluable way to create a true web that will capture those whose support for the arts may vacillate and entice those who may not be aware how important and integral the arts are to all of our lives.  To learn from those experienced in the inner workings of government and funding, and; consequently, the opportunity to reach the decision makers in a positive forceful way will better prepare me to be a stronger advocate locally and regionally.  Artists are observers and doers, but I need to learn the rules of the game to take my observations and effectively use my actions in a constructive and productive way.  Our life is our experience and knowledge is power.  It is time to move to the front lines.  I need to harness my experiences, enhance my knowledge regarding the methods of arts advocacy, and yes, if need be, plea for the importance of the arts in not only my students’ lives, but every person’s life.

------------------------------
    Kirk Erickson
    Clinton Township MI
    ------------------------------