Advocacy

View Only

Why I'm going to Arts Advocacy Day 2017

• 1.  Why I'm going to Arts Advocacy Day 2017

Posted 03-07-2017 11:02

When our new President is looking to cut funding from the National Endowment for the Arts as well as get rid of funding for PBS, it’s more important then ever to be an Arts Advocate. As an immigrant, theatre arts graduate and thespian alum, attending Arts Advocacy this year will be more important than ever to be an advocate of the Arts. Having the Arts has made a huge impact on my life as well as the countless Thespians I’ve encountered throughout my time with the EdTA. Whether they’re working actors to software engineers; each friend, mentor, colleague and supporter of the Arts, have seen the power it has to impact the lives of someone and their community.

I currently act as the Student Thespian Officer Coordinator for New York Thespians and this will be my second year attending Arts Advocacy Day. I've lived in Ohio, Michigan and Colorado prior to moving to New York. I've been fortunate enough to have gone through my education having the arts, especially theatre to mold me to who I am today. Now living in New York, I want to speak with our representatives and leaders on the importance of the Arts in our schools, continue to raise awareness of how the Arts utilize all of the core subjects and are are just as important as STEM. As an artist and a concerned citizen, attending Arts Advocacy Day helps me grow to be a better leader, advocate and to challenge myself to continue fighting for arts education in our schools.

My first time attending the event was two years ago. I was able to form connections with my fellow colleagues in the NY state area and speak with my representatives confidently on the importance of the Arts in our schools. However I have been wanting to go back since because it sparked my continuing passion in being an Arts Advocate.

------------------------------
    Mark Drum
    @whoismarkdrum
    ------------------------------