Advocacy

View Only
  • 1.  Guidance for a newbie? ;)

Posted 09-03-2020 13:17
    Hey, all! We were recently asked to join with the other professional arts education organizations to create a "Best Practices" guideline document for the three stages of the Delaware reopening process. Not a week after we released it through the Delaware Arts Alliance (DAA), several districts came out with their reopening plans, with arts teachers, particularly at the K-6 levels, teaching almost entirely out of their certification area and I stead providing support to classroom general ed teachers. DAA, an arts advocacy group, pulled us all together again to see how we can best help with this issue, since this means the arts are being almost entirely eliminated from the K-6 curriculum for at least the first 6 weeks. Some schools are offering - for fun - 1 live art class weekly, with 4 asynchronous classes available through video. The teachers have to create this content and then also teach general ed or provide support to those teachers, and there is no process for real follow up with the assignments offered,

I am new to the advocacy game, other than through these 2 experiences. Guide me, oh wise ones?!?!

------------------------------
    Tracy Friswell-Jacobs
    Theatre Teacher
    Middletown DE
    ------------------------------