Advocacy

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre for Children With Autism

Posted 06-05-2017 14:51
    Hello All!

This past year my high school theatre troupe had 12 separate requests from parents and teachers about accommodations for students with Autism during our Spring showing of Shrek the Musical, ranging from seating requirements to sound and lighting requests. We were happy to accommodate and so enjoyed how much our young visitors loved the show. My high school theatre troupe will perform "The Little Mermaid"(MTI) next school year and we would like to add a matinee performance specifically for patrons with Autism and their families. Has anyone done this before? Can you offer advice?

Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Susan Cates
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Theatre for Children With Autism

Posted 06-06-2017 10:09
    One of my theatre moms works in that field, and when we did a "meet the characters" event prior to our spring production of Mermaid, she had some helpful suggestions.   We offered a "sensory sensitive" time slot.   We did not make any changes to the actual performances - but this mom did handsew some "fidgets"  - little stuffed sea horses - for us to make available (for free) in the lobby.  For children who needed something tactile, these were helpful.... and not distracting at all, unlike the new fidget spinners could be.   Last year, for Grease, she made some other fidgets - but I can't remember the shape.  She just used some of her scrap fabric at home, and even taught our costume crew kids to make some.

I suspect that more events will begin to cater to the needs of our audience members - thank you for opening this discussion. I'm excited to see where it leads, and what other ideas will be shared.

------------------------------
    Melissa Mintzer
    Willow Street PA

• 3.  RE: Theatre for Children With Autism

Posted 08-16-2017 02:10
    Thank Goodness To Messages or post such as this one.  I have an community outreach program and I am integrating Literacy Program I have been becoming disheartened as to the do share for programs to help childern is my personal focus.  It's a post such as this that keeps my craft a live.  Thank You so much for igniting my heart again.   God Bless her and her journey my she keep finding cloth to make her figits

Elizabeth Bell-Avery

• 4.  RE: Theatre for Children With Autism

Posted 09-12-2017 21:28
    If you are attending the EdTA National Conference in Nashville, I will presenting a workshop on Saturday, September 16 from 2PM – 3:30PM in Suite 1077 that will address this topic. Alicia Fuss, Education Director at Nashville Children's Theatre, who is in charge of presenting Sensory-Friendly performances, will join me to offer guidance. After the conference has ended, I'd be happy to share our hand-outs.

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY